none
You can't send a message on behalf of this user unless you have permission to do so

Question

• Hi,

We are on Exchange 2010 SP2 with multiple domain name. All works ok. We need to be able to use other domains while sending email. For example, i have a default reply address set for user@abc.com along with other addresses i.e user@otherdomain.com etc on policy. I am receiving emails and can reply only using user@abc.com. I get the following error if i try to send email from user@otherdomain.com

user@abc.com
    You can't send a message on behalf of this user unless you have permission to do so. Please make sure you're sending on behalf of the correct sender, or request the necessary permission. If the problem continues, please contact your helpdesk.

Users should have the ability to choose an address as they need rather that fixing to a single 'set as reply address'. I am sure it is possible. Can some provide some help/direction?

Thanks in advance.

Thursday, July 05, 2012 7:01 AM

Answers

• Users should have the ability to choose an address as they need rather that fixing to a single 'set as reply address'. I am sure it is possible. Can some provide some help/direction?

Hi,
    I would be nice if Exchange had that option built-in but that is not the case.
    So without a third-party tool, I'm sorry to say that it is not possible.

Here's one Third-Party Software that can do what you are asking http://www.ivasoft.biz/choosefrom2007.shtml

Martina Miskovic

Thursday, July 05, 2012 7:14 AM
  • Thanks all, none of the above works on my environment. I could only get it to work as follows:

1.Create a new user with a mailbox
    Add the mailbox on your outlook profile

2.How to add on outlook profile: on exchange 2010 (mostly similar to other brands 2007 etc)
    File->Account Settings->Add a new account. 

3.View ->From

4. When sending email choose From (Select the one from option)

Obviously, if you have many domains than it would be too many mailboxes and CAL's licensing. Probably the reason why Microsoft does not want it as feature. You can pay for IVASoft if no hassle is the way to go.

Cheers,

Masud.

• Marked as answer by sydmas Friday, July 13, 2012 3:04 AM
    • Edited by sydmas Friday, July 13, 2012 3:04 AM
    Friday, July 13, 2012 3:04 AM

All replies

• Users should have the ability to choose an address as they need rather that fixing to a single 'set as reply address'. I am sure it is possible. Can some provide some help/direction?

Hi,
    I would be nice if Exchange had that option built-in but that is not the case.
    So without a third-party tool, I'm sorry to say that it is not possible.

Here's one Third-Party Software that can do what you are asking http://www.ivasoft.biz/choosefrom2007.shtml

Martina Miskovic

Thursday, July 05, 2012 7:14 AM
  • Thanks Martina, 

Yes, i had a look. Those software are useful specially with the ability to choose a signature associated with second email address. It is pricey for enterprise implementation.

What about SENDASANYONE permission? Have you tried to implement that? 

There must be a way to modify permission as it is permission issue.

• Edited by sydmas Thursday, July 05, 2012 11:25 PM
    Thursday, July 05, 2012 11:24 PM
  • Thanks Martina, 

Hi,
    No I have never used the software or seen it "in action".

It has never been possible to send-as an additional proxyaddress in any version of Exchange.
    The error message could be a bit more informative since it is not a permission issue, but maybe in next version :)

Martina Miskovic

Friday, July 06, 2012 7:17 AM
  • Your other work around (as painful as it is) would be to create a distribution group for the secondary addresses and make the user the only member of that group. Then you can give the user SendAs permission for the group.

It's a very manual and ugly process, but works. You could probably script it to automatically create the groups and set the permissions if you needed to do it on a large scale.

Byron Wright (http://byronwright.blogspot.com)

• Proposed as answer by suastiastu Saturday, October 10, 2015 4:53 AM
    Friday, July 06, 2012 6:09 PM
  • You could try breaking up mailboxes on a per domain/ as needed basis. I'm assuming that not everyone needs this functionality and you can do it on a case by case basis.

1. Give mailbox@abc.com full-access perms to mailbox@otherdomain.com

2. Set mailbox@otherdomain.com to forward to mailbox@abc.com and set it to not leave a copy of the message on mailbox@otherdomain.com

3. When they want to reply with the other domain name, you can send from that address.

Cheers,

Mitchel

• Proposed as answer by Mitchel Lewis Friday, July 06, 2012 10:42 PM
    Friday, July 06, 2012 9:35 PM
  • Another possibility is to use the address rewriting capabilities of an Exchange server running the edge role.  I am not sure how complex your requirements are, and as a result it might turn out to be not as powerful as you need.  However I have used address rewriting to accomplish what I think was a similar goal.
    Friday, July 06, 2012 11:07 PM
  • Your other work around (as painful as it is) would be to create a distribution group for the secondary addresses and make the user the only member of that group. Then you can give the user SendAs permission for the group.

It's a very manual and ugly process, but works. You could probably script it to automatically create the groups and set the permissions if you needed to do it on a large scale.

Hi Byron,

Looked like a workable solution but could not get it to work. I am getting NDR with permission issue. I have created the distribution group with email address. Added the user in it. Given the user Full access and SEND AS permission. 

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 1:23 AM
  • You could try breaking up mailboxes on a per domain/ as needed basis. I'm assuming that not everyone needs this functionality and you can do it on a case by case basis.

1. Give mailbox@abc.com full-access perms to mailbox@otherdomain.com

2. Set mailbox@otherdomain.com to forward to mailbox@abc.com and set it to not leave a copy of the message on mailbox@otherdomain.com

3. When they want to reply with the other domain name, you can send from that address.

Cheers,

Mitchel

Thanks Mitchel but i need to send a new mail without the forwarded email. 
    Wednesday, July 11, 2012 1:25 AM
  • Another possibility is to use the address rewriting capabilities of an Exchange server running the edge role.  I am not sure how complex your requirements are, and as a result it might turn out to be not as powerful as you need.  However I have used address rewriting to accomplish what I think was a similar goal.
    There are no edge server in the picture. I only have internet facing CAS.
    Wednesday, July 11, 2012 1:26 AM
  • Thanks Martina, 

Hi,

It has never been possible to send-as an additional proxyaddress in any version of Exchange.
    The error message could be a bit more informative since it is not a permission issue, but maybe in next version :)

Martina Miskovic

Hi Martina,

SEND AS has to work as it is a feature on Exchange 2010 SP2. I get the option from the EMC. I can also run the following command: 

Add-ADPermission targetMailbox -User "domain\user" -Extendedrights "Send As"
    Wednesday, July 11, 2012 1:30 AM
  • Thanks Martina, 

Hi,

Martina Miskovic

Hi Martina,

SEND AS has to work as it is a feature on Exchange 2010 SP2. I get the option from the EMC. I can also run the following command: 

Add-ADPermission targetMailbox -User "domain\user" -Extendedrights "Send As"
    When I wrote SENDASANYONE I had the software ChooseFrom from IVASOFT in mind and I haven't tried that software.

The thing is - It has never been possible to Send-As an additional proxyaddress/alias that a mailbox has and that is true from Exchange 2000 and up. The AD-Permission SEND-AS will not help you here.

Martina Miskovic

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 1:54 AM
  • Hi Byron,

Looked like a workable solution but could not get it to work. I am getting NDR with permission issue. I have created the distribution group with email address. Added the user in it. Given the user Full access and SEND AS permission. 

Hi, I'm not sure what issue you are running into, but you can definitely give a user Send As permission for a group and then send as the group. I just verified in my test environment.

To assign the Send As permission, the easy way it in AD User and Computers.

1. Enable Advanced Features from the View menu first. This allows you to see the Security tab.
    2. In ADUC, find the group and open the Properties.
    3. On the Security tab, Add the user.
    4. With the user selected in the list, Allow the Send as permission.

There may be a bit of lag time before that begins to work as Exchange may have cached some AD permissions, but it definitely works.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 5:11 PM
  • Thanks all, none of the above works on my environment. I could only get it to work as follows:

1.Create a new user with a mailbox
    Add the mailbox on your outlook profile

2.How to add on outlook profile: on exchange 2010 (mostly similar to other brands 2007 etc)
    File->Account Settings->Add a new account. 

3.View ->From

4. When sending email choose From (Select the one from option)

Obviously, if you have many domains than it would be too many mailboxes and CAL's licensing. Probably the reason why Microsoft does not want it as feature. You can pay for IVASoft if no hassle is the way to go.

Cheers,

Masud.

• Marked as answer by sydmas Friday, July 13, 2012 3:04 AM
    • Edited by sydmas Friday, July 13, 2012 3:04 AM
    Friday, July 13, 2012 3:04 AM
  • We had this problem and resolved it like this:

1. Log onto domain controller and set a password on the account if you don't know what it is.

2. Log on to that user and open Outlook email.

3. Set permissions on the inbox accordingly.

for some reason, the people who couldn't "send on behalf of" were not listed here but were listed in the exchange server send as permissions.  This is an exchange bug.

• Proposed as answer by American365 Friday, April 11, 2014 7:50 PM
    Friday, April 11, 2014 7:49 PM
  • You can also use Proxy Manager (http://www.dimastr.com/proxyman) - it lets you send from any SMTP proxy address in the account using an arbitrary display name.
    It is implemented as an Outlook 2010/2013 addin, so everything is done on the client side.

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
    http://www.dimastr.com/redemption
    Redemption - what the Outlook
    Object Model should have been
    Version 5.5 is now available!

Monday, December 29, 2014 3:38 PM