Can mediation server release media? RRS feed

• Question

• If I have a SIP MGW working behind a mediation server, can the OC client send G.711 RTP directly to that MGW having signaling translated by mediation server?

The scenario is where a MGW and the OC client are both remote from the OCS and Mediation server location in HQ, and we would like to optimize route to go direcely from phones to PSTN through the local MGW.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 11:47 PM

All replies

• You should look at deploying an advanced media gateway.  I have use the NET VX1200 and VX1800 gateways which add some great features to your OCS remote offices.  Otherwise you are required to have an MED server and MGW at each location you want to provide local PSTN access at.
    Mark King | C/D/H | MCTS:OCS | MCSE: Messaging | MCITP:Enterprise Administrator | CCNA
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 1:43 AM
  • This is not Supported and cant be done.

However in OCS 2007 R2 There are times where Office Communicator might use G7.11 Instead of RTAudio, this dosent mean you can talk directly to media gateway from Communnicator. It dose not work like a Softphone like Xlite for example.

In a branch office scenerio where your Communicator client is not in your HQ location you can Deploy a Medation server at your branch office location to minimize network traffic across the wan.
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 1:43 AM
  • Keith, Mark, thanks a lot,

So, I have a SIP MGW in my branch already.

Understand that OC phone can't send SIP messages to the MGW directly, rather through OCS and Mediation server. And I would like to keep the mediation server in HQ.

So, just to confirm, you both say that there is no way for mediation server to pass the SDP through to the SIP MGW, such that they both standardize on G.711 and communicate RTP directly?
    This is a very standard call flow on any other SIP call server, why is it different here?

Thursday, February 25, 2010 5:19 PM
  • Correct, that is very standard behavior in the SIP world but it's not currently how the Mediation server is designed.  It's pretty safe to expect some innovation in this area in future releases.

Mike Stacy | http://mikestacy.typepad.com
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 8:48 PM
  • VoiceStar.
    The Mediation server in OCS 2007 and R2 does the following:

- Translate SIP/TCP to SIP/MTLS for MOC
    - Media conversion from G.711 to RTAudio (and vise versa)
    - Encrypt/Decrypt SRTP traffic

Traditional media gatways fail usually at the second option unless they are "advanced" media gateways which have licensed the RTAudio codec from MS. 

I agree with you that this is pretty standard for other SIP servers but it is not the case in OCS right now. 
    Mark
    Mark King | C/D/H | MCTS:OCS | MCSE: Messaging | MCITP:Enterprise Administrator | CCNA
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 10:59 PM
  • Gentlemen, I appreciate much your full and comprehensive responses. I'm looking forward to "future innovations".

VoiceStar
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 2:49 AM