Autodiscover: A or CNAME record RRS feed

• Question

• We've configured Exchange 2016 autodiscover records like

Record A type:   mail.contoso.com = IP_MX1

Record A type:   mail.contoso.com = IP_MX2

It Works fine, but should I créate a SRV and CNAME records??

• Moved by Manu Meng Thursday, December 13, 2018 7:35 AM relocate
    Wednesday, December 12, 2018 11:51 AM

Answers

Typically the autodiscover record is a CNAME because its an alias for the actual client endpoint which is the mail.contoso.com DNS entry which is an A record.

IN other words, You need a CNAME for autodiscover.contoso.com that points to mail.contoso.com

• Edited by Andy DavidMVP Wednesday, December 12, 2018 7:03 PM
    • Marked as answer by Rivers75 Tuesday, December 18, 2018 6:47 AM
    Wednesday, December 12, 2018 6:57 PM

All replies

• It is not recommended to have cname record for any Exchange service.

If you already have A record then why you want to setup additional records.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/client-developer/exchange-web-services/autodiscover-for-exchange

Thanks,

Ashish

Wednesday, December 12, 2018 6:30 PM

Typically the autodiscover record is a CNAME because its an alias for the actual client endpoint which is the mail.contoso.com DNS entry which is an A record.

IN other words, You need a CNAME for autodiscover.contoso.com that points to mail.contoso.com

• Edited by Andy DavidMVP Wednesday, December 12, 2018 7:03 PM
    • Marked as answer by Rivers75 Tuesday, December 18, 2018 6:47 AM
    Wednesday, December 12, 2018 6:57 PM
  • Hi.

If you planning multi naming connection to Exchange organization. Two record mail.domain.com and autodiscover.domain.com are "A" record, any other domain name CNAME for this first two. CNAME name must be on certificate name list.

Other way, you can use SRV, when you have two A name on certificate mail.domain.com and autodiscover.domain.com, and create SRV record for autodiscovery name without name on certificate with redirection name. It's different CNAME and SRV.  

Namespace Planning in Exchange 2016

Autodiscover for Exchange

Using SRV records for multiple Autodiscover domains

If this first domain name for Exchange, I'm create two A record mail.domain.com and autodiscover.domain.com, more easy on future.

MCITP, MCSE. Regards, Oleg

Wednesday, December 12, 2018 8:10 PM
  • I dont know anyone who creates an A record for Autodiscover.

Even the Docs recommend a cname

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/architecture/client-access/autodiscover?view=exchserver-2019

Wednesday, December 12, 2018 9:36 PM
  • I need integrate Exchange & Skype. This URL says I need SRV and CNAME records...

http://cloudexchangers.com/simple-integration-between-exchange-2016-and-skype-for-business-server/

Thursday, December 13, 2018 5:45 AM
  • Hi Rivers,

Since your question is more related to Exchange & Skype integration, I'll move it to the dedicated Skype for Business forum:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/home?category=officecommunicationsserver

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, December 13, 2018 7:31 AM
  • Hi Rivers75,

If you want to configure Exchange and Skype for Business integration, you must create a DNS record for the Autodiscover service that points to your Exchange Server, the record will be used to resolve to the fully qualified domain name of your Exchange server. Details about this you could refer to the official document: Prerequisites for integrating Microsoft Lync Server 2013 and Microsoft Exchange Server 2013. It is similar to the SFB server 2015. However, in the official document, it did not describe which record should be used.

Based on my research and experience, you could create a A/CNAME record which points to the Exchange Server FQDN, and create an SRV record which point to the A/CNAME record. These are the two well-known DNS records that mostly autodiscover-aware clients will query when attempting to locate an Exchange Server. About how to configure the integration, you could refer to the following blog: Exchange and Skype for Business Integration

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft can make no representation concerning the content of these sites. Microsoft is providing this information only as a convenience to you: this is to inform you that Microsoft has not tested any software or information found on these sites and therefore cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software on the Internet.

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by woshixiaobai Friday, December 14, 2018 2:47 AM
    Thursday, December 13, 2018 7:51 AM
  • Hi Rivers75,

Is there any update for this issue? If the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who have the similar issue.

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Monday, December 17, 2018 6:04 AM