External Hard Drive folders won't refresh or retain changes... RRS feed

• Question

• I customize folders in my external hard drives but now the external hard drive window that pops up when I plug it in, doesn't refresh at all and nor does the hard drive retain any changes made, usually you can see the icons flicker when you refresh a folder but this doesn't happen at all, it's like it's stuck, it's still operational for the most part but I can't customize folder icons when it's like this.

What could possibly be causing this?

Monday, December 16, 2013 6:23 AM

Answers

• Hi,

"I have tried plugging the hard drive into different computers but the same problem occurs so then I thought it was the hard drive itself but the same problem occurs on all 12 of my hard drives"

Were these 12 drives external drive or internal drive?

Please create a new folder that don't customize the icon or anything for test.

If it work fine, we could suspect the culprit is the customization.

Meanwhile, we recommend you use Clean Boot to troubleshoot if there exists software conflict:

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 5:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,

How did you customize folder? How is the situation when you revert to the normal folder?

Please plug it into another computer to eliminate the PC's issue.

Karen Hu

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 3:00 AM
  • Hello,

I use a program called Folder Changer but the icons won't refresh correctly in the folder window whether I use the program or not, I have tried plugging the hard drive into different computers but the same problem occurs so then I thought it was the hard drive itself but the same problem occurs on all 12 of my hard drives, anyway, I took all my data off my hard drive and reformatted it but that didn't help, I have tried right clicking on my computer, gone into 'manage' and tried 'rescan disks' but that didn't work either, nothing obvious seems to work.

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 6:25 AM
  • Hi,

"I have tried plugging the hard drive into different computers but the same problem occurs so then I thought it was the hard drive itself but the same problem occurs on all 12 of my hard drives"

Were these 12 drives external drive or internal drive?

Please create a new folder that don't customize the icon or anything for test.

If it work fine, we could suspect the culprit is the customization.

Meanwhile, we recommend you use Clean Boot to troubleshoot if there exists software conflict:

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Karen Hu

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 5:47 AM