How can we stop password prompt on open? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Bit of a strange one this. We have a few users who login to the PC as "User.Name", but they don't have a mailbox, they use a mailbox relating to their job function (not shared) for example "Receptionist".

Previously when we were running Exchange 2010, this worked fine. We setup the mail profile once and it worked. Open Outlook every time and it would connect in no worries.

However, we are trying to migrate all mailboxes to O365, so we are in Hybrid at the moment (Exchange 2010 + 2016 Hybrid server + O365).

Once the mailbox is in O365, users get asked for their password for the mailbox they are connecting to every time. It never saves it. It works if we put it in, but we need to be able to save it so the user doesn't get prompted.

I have tried a few things, but I wonder if I am missing something obvious here.

It's Outlook from Office 365 (pro plus) and Outlook 2016 we have tried.

Any ideas of things I can try?

Thanks

James

Wednesday, July 22, 2020 4:22 PM

Answers

• OK, I have a working solution now, well more or a workaround, but it works.

I changed the mail profile to "Prompt for a profile to be used" rather than "Always use this profile".

So far, we have not seen a password prompt since.

Using Fiddler, when you have "Always use this profile" we can see it is sometimes just passing the Windows creds to O365, rather than just the creds configured for the mailbox. But I have no idea why.

Anyway, this is a working solution.

• Marked as answer by Jaymz 6 Friday, July 24, 2020 2:35 PM
    Friday, July 24, 2020 2:35 PM

All replies

• Hi James,

Thanks for visiting our forum.

I did some research about your issue and it seems to be similar to a known issue before, please check the workarounds in this article to see if it helps: Outlook prompts for credentials for on premise users with Office 365 client.

If the issue still continues, you could try the ExcludeExplicitO365Endpoint registry key to stop this prompt.
    (Note: Serious problems can occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before making changes, back up the registry to restore it in case something goes wrong.)
    (Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

"Outlook IT Pro Discussions" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to the sticky post for more details.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

"Outlook IT Pro Discussions" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A! We invite you to post new questions in the new forum.

For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Thursday, July 23, 2020 5:54 AM
  • Hi Jeff,

I was hopeful for the first one, but sadly both users are already synced to O365.

For our issue, it's important to understand the user.name doesn't have a mailbox, either on-prem or in O365. They actually login to "function" mailbox, which has a different username and password.

When they start Outlook, they get the O365 login page before Outlook will open. The username for "Function" is pre-filled in, but there is no option to save the password.

I am seeing how we can test the 2nd link you shared, because this is in a shared RDS environment, so reg changes and reboots are not really possible. Will see if we can find any other way to test. But the link certainly doesn't say anything about saving the password.

We also tested Outlook 2019, same problem.

Thursday, July 23, 2020 9:58 AM
  • I have now tested the 2nd link too, no difference.

I still get the Microsoft O365 popup asking for the password.

Thursday, July 23, 2020 12:41 PM
  • Also to add, I do see the credentials in credential manager, under Windows Credentials and Generic \ MS.Outlook... but I still get the standard O365 login popup every time.
    Thursday, July 23, 2020 1:01 PM
  • OK, the behavior is strange.

I tried disabling AV.

This works a lot better, but is still acting strange.

When I first open Outlook, I get the O365 password box popup behind the Outlook starting logo. But if I hit the X on the starting logo and close Outlook, then open it again from the icon... it opens up, goes straight in, no password. Fully working.

This is really odd. Why would it prompt for the password first time but not the second time? I'm not putting the password in on the first time, I just cancel it, so it's not like it is retaining a token or anything.

Friday, July 24, 2020 9:09 AM
  • OK, I have a working solution now, well more or a workaround, but it works.

I changed the mail profile to "Prompt for a profile to be used" rather than "Always use this profile".

So far, we have not seen a password prompt since.

Using Fiddler, when you have "Always use this profile" we can see it is sometimes just passing the Windows creds to O365, rather than just the creds configured for the mailbox. But I have no idea why.

Anyway, this is a working solution.

• Marked as answer by Jaymz 6 Friday, July 24, 2020 2:35 PM
    Friday, July 24, 2020 2:35 PM