none
Server 2008 Foundation BSOD and reboot loop after fresh install RRS feed

• Question

• Hard drives crashed on an HP Proliant GL120 G5 server.  Got new drives installed.  Array built.  Ran the full diagnostics that come with the server, along with CHKDSK.  Everything is fine with all of the hardware.  Reinstalled from the OEM discs that came with the server.  Keep getting BSOD that quickly disappears and then a reboot.  If I attempt to boot into safe mode, it does the BSOD once it gets to CRCDISK.SYS and then reboots.

Friday, May 3, 2019 12:01 AM

All replies

• hi,

hi,
    1 power on hp server and click f8 to select and enter "disable automatic restart on system failure" like picture.
      reboot hp server and find what detail BSOD error information.
    2 after your hard drives crash ,Was there any setting you changed on bios ?
    3 did you change hardware raid card ?
    4 did you use correct hardware raid control card driver to install server 2008 foundation system?
    5 did you use correct hardware driver only for server 2008 foundation system ?
    6 "Hard drives crashed on an HP Proliant GL120 G5 server.  Got new drives installed."
      do you mean you change all hard disk to new hard disk .
    7  what's the capacity of the new hard disks? is each new disk capacity bigger than 2TB?
       Is there UEFI setting in bios for each new disk capacity bigger than 2TB ?
    8  if you not use array card and not config array for your disks then install server 2008 foundation , will the problem persist ?
    9 after you do troubleshooting above steps ,if the problem still persist ,can you share error picture ?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 3, 2019 8:39 AM
  • The F8 was giving me a hard time because that is also the key you use to get into the controller configuration immediately before the Windows startup options menu.  It is a very short window to press F8 key, but I was able to get it.  Anyway, to answer all of your questions.

2.  No settings changed in BIOS.

3.  Adapatec Raid Card is the same.

4.  I downloaded the newest RAID Controller driver from the HP website.  However, it is the same as the one that came with the machine (same size and timestamp).  The driver allows for the installation of the OS, but when it comes boot time, it fails.

5.  I'm not sure which hardware you're referring to in this question.

6.  New hard drives.  Exact models as the previous hard drives.

7.  250 GB capacity.

8.  I have installed with and without an array.  Problem still occurs.

9.  The stop error is INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE  0x0000007b, which would indicate a driver issue.  See #4 above.

Friday, May 3, 2019 12:51 PM
  • hi,

"I have installed with and without an array.  Problem still occurs."
    10 when we installed server 2008 fundation without an array,we not need to install array driver.but i am not sure if you install other driver on server 2008 fundation.(I mean you only inserted server 2008 foundation oem disc and install server 2008 foundation, after you install it ,you did not install any driver on it manually)
    11 after install server 2008 fundation,do you successfully logon the server 2008 fundation by using administrator account?

12 can you check which bios setting about SATA Mode ,is it AHCI ,raid or other ?

13have you ever installed 2008 foundation on this server by using oem 2008 foundation disc successfully? 

14 do you use this array driver for your issue hp server?
    HP ProLiant Smart Array SAS/SATA Event Notification Service for for 64-bit Windows Server Editions
    6.46.0.64(A)
    Oct 24, 2016
    https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/km/product/3683234/Product#t=DriversandSoftware&sort=relevancy&layout=table&f:@kmswtargetproductenvironmentlatest=[3683234_Microsoft%20Windows%20Server%202008%20Foundation%20Edition]

15 there a document for your reference 
    https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c01660474
    Select "Load Driver" (located near the bottom of the screen) to load the driver for the Embedded SATA RAID Controller.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 6, 2019 3:50 PM
  • Hello,

When you rebuilt the RAID did it ask to run a disk validation (usually takes a long time), if so did it pass or did you get errors? If not, I would run a disk validation check from the RAID BIOS and if it checks out OK.

Then reinstall Windows and during the initial install, make sure that you use the RAID driver for the specific OS from the HP site. You should download and extract the driver to a USB stick and press F6 before proceeding with the Windows install so that you can load the HP driver instead of the Windows driver for the RADI subsystem.

Also, since you mentioned that the RAID system just 'crashed', which it should not do, you may be looking at a hardware problem. RAID systems degrade but keep working when a disk fails... The whole array crashing may indicate hardware failure of some sort.

Miguel Fra
    Falcon IT Services
    https://www.falconitservices.com

• Edited by Miguel Fra Monday, May 6, 2019 4:47 PM
    Monday, May 6, 2019 4:43 PM
  • Is there any progress on your question?

Sunday, May 12, 2019 11:55 PM
  • Is there any progress on your question?

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 11:30 AM