server manager - error on roles and features tab - Server 2008 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• I installed a fresh server 2008 Standard R2 the server has been working fine for a month.
    The only thing that had been installed when the the error appeared was Windows Updates and Trend Micro Anitvirus.
    I took out the server to the customer 1 week ago. Of course this happened now when i am not able to reinstall it. DCOMCNFG is correct after what is recommended here on the forum.
    The only role that i have installed are Terminal Services and i have also installed the Desktop Experience feature.
    Windows Update works and everything else works perfectly. Probably gonna need to install more roles very soon so this is starting out to be real critical.

I have tried installing the System Update Readiness Tool, but it says that this update does not apply to my system.
    All the Windows Updates are installed and i have one that failed the 11th of August (Security Update for .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64-based Systems (KB983590)) After a reboot the update went through sucessfully on this second try.

This is a draft from the servermanager log file:

3288: 2010-08-16 12:03:34.397 [Provider]                  System changed since last refresh: False
    3288: 2010-08-16 12:03:41.022 [Provider]                  System changed since last refresh: False
    3288: 2010-08-16 12:03:47.303 [Provider]                  System changed since last refresh: False
    3288: 2010-08-16 12:04:52.709 [Provider]                  System changed since last refresh: False

3608: 2010-08-16 12:05:03.412 [Provider]                  C:\Windows\system32\ServerManager\Cache\CbsUpdateState.bin does not exist.
    3608: 2010-08-16 12:05:03.428 [CBS]                       IsCacheStillGood: False.

1624: 2010-08-16 12:05:04.881 [Provider]                  C:\Windows\system32\ServerManager\Cache\CbsUpdateState.bin does not exist.
    1624: 2010-08-16 12:05:04.897 [CBS]                       IsCacheStillGood: False.
    3608: 2010-08-16 12:05:37.774 [CBS] Error (Id=0) Function: 'CreateSessionAndPackage()->Session_OpenPackage' failed: 800706be (-2147023170)
    3608: 2010-08-16 12:05:37.804 [ExceptionHandler] Error (Id=0) An unexpected exception was found:
    System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800706BE): Det eksterne prosedyrekallet (RPC) mislyktes. (Unntak fra HRESULT: 0x800706BE)
       ved System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
       ved Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.ComponentInstaller.CreateSessionAndPackage(IntPtr& session, IntPtr& package)
       ved Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.ComponentInstaller.InitializeUpdateInfo()
       ved Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.ComponentInstaller.Initialize()
       ved Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.Common.Provider.RefreshDiscovery()
       ved Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.LocalResult.PerformDiscovery()
       ved Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.ServerManagerModel.CreateLocalResult(RefreshType refreshType)
       ved Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.ServerManagerModel.InternalRefreshModelResult(Object state)

The C:\Windows\System32\ServerManager\Cache folder is empty
    I also tried to put the .mum files in the packages folder, it did not help.

To see if the server is normal elsewhere i just installed the Office 2010 Professional with the "Install a application on remote desktop server" wizard. This was working perfectly, still no server manager working though!

puuh, damn annoying.

I would really like som help with this machine, if no one can help me i am forced to open up an MS CASE.

PS: The installation medium was downloaded from our MVLS page just a month ago.

Best Regards

Espen

Monday, August 16, 2010 9:12 PM

Answers

• Hi Espen,

Can you run the System Update Readiness Tool in a clean boot environment?

Please follow the steps below to perform a clean boot. A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

1. Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.

1. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.

1.  Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.

1.  Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.

1.  Click OK.

1.  When you are prompted, click Restart.

Please also disable the anti-virus software in case of any failures.

After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to reset the computer to start as usual:

1. Click Start , type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

1. On the General tab, click the Normal Startup option, and then click OK.

1. When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.

Additionally, in the ServerManager log that you pasted on the forum, it indicates that the CbsUpdateState.bin(C:\Windows\system32\ServerManager\Cache\CbsUpdateState.bin) doesnot exists. You may also try to copy this file from another running Windows Server 2008 R2 server.

If that fails, I’m afraid you will have to perform an in-place upgrade to fix it.

Regards,

Karen Ji

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ” This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Vincent Hu Friday, August 20, 2010 1:47 AM
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 3:44 AM

All replies

• It's definitely odd that the SUR tool failed to install, can you post
    the \Windows\windowsupdate.log file to skydrive (I have posted
    instructions at
    )?

-- Mike Burr
    Monday, August 16, 2010 9:57 PM
  • Hi Espen,

Can you run the System Update Readiness Tool in a clean boot environment?

Please follow the steps below to perform a clean boot. A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

1. Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.

1. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.

1.  Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.

1.  Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.

1.  Click OK.

1.  When you are prompted, click Restart.

Please also disable the anti-virus software in case of any failures.

After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to reset the computer to start as usual:

1. Click Start , type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

1. On the General tab, click the Normal Startup option, and then click OK.

1. When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.

Additionally, in the ServerManager log that you pasted on the forum, it indicates that the CbsUpdateState.bin(C:\Windows\system32\ServerManager\Cache\CbsUpdateState.bin) doesnot exists. You may also try to copy this file from another running Windows Server 2008 R2 server.

If that fails, I’m afraid you will have to perform an in-place upgrade to fix it.

Regards,

Karen Ji

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ” This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Vincent Hu Friday, August 20, 2010 1:47 AM
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 3:44 AM
  • Hello there Mike

The log file is uploaded to http://cid-9e8d5657bb3ca28c.office.live.com/embedicon.aspx/Public
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 1:49 PM
  • Good day Karen

I Tried with System Update Readiness Tool from this link(V5) - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=c4b0f52c-d0e4-4c18-aa4b-93a477456336&displaylang=en

This one installed sucessfully, after a reboot i still can't open roles or features on the Server Manager page.

Is there dialog boxes i have to confirm with an in-place upgrade ? I was wondering that because if not, then i could do this remotely. Maybe i'll need to use an answer file?

Regards Espen
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 2:24 PM
  • Once you have successfully installed the SUR tool, we are interested in output in these 2 files:

• %SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log
    • %SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.persist.log

-- Mike Burr
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 11:49 PM
  • Hi Espen,

Please post the result of CheckSUR.log here as Mike said. We'll help you solve the problem.

Regards,

Karen Ji

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:19 AM
  •  One of the main things I'm seeing,

# as an HRESULT: Severity: FAILURE (1), Facility: 0x7, Code 0x6be
    # for hex 0x6be / decimal 1726 :
      RPC_S_CALL_FAILED                                             winerror.h
    # The remote procedure call failed.
    # 1 matches found for "800706be"

This is often due to some sort of servicing corruption, since you have
    already run the SUR tool, can you post the

C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log file to further troubleshoot?

-- Mike Burr
    Saturday, August 28, 2010 8:43 PM
  • In the end i went for the solution to do an in-place upgrade. Server Manager started working directly after the upgrade.

Thank you karen!

As a tip to other with this problem:
    I was able to do an in-place upgrade remotely by copying the installation medium to a folder on the C:\ drive, started the Setup.exe and when the installation finished i could connect to the server.
    It had the same network settings as before, but i had to reinstall the roles i already had installed.

/Best Regards
    Espen

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 9:35 PM