Is a local column or a site column? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

After creating a list where some of the columns are local and some are site columns, Is there a way to tell which one is which?

After some time I forget how did I implemented the list and it's hard to tell. When I enter a column that was created from a site column, I don't see any sign that it came from a site level.

Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot in advance

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, June 14, 2011 2:48 PM admin q (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 2:29 PM

Answers

• Hi,

On the face of it, there is no apparent difference between site column and local column when you enter it.

To distinguish the current column a site column or a local column, here I have a workaround:

Choose “Add from the exists site columns”, and look up the “available site columns”,  then choose site settings>site columns.

1, if the current column is not in the “available site columns” but is in the Site Column Gallery page, the current column is a site column.

2, if the current column is not in neither of the situation, it is a local column.

For more information about Column, please refer to: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms450825(office.12).aspx 

If I have any misunderstanding , please feel free to let me know.

Xue-Mei Chang
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 3:44 AM