My site/personal site mailbox and exisiting exchange mailbox RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am currently trying to create site mailboxes for users personal site (my site) on SharePoint 2013 on premise. Each user in our organization has an existing e mail account in Exchange 2013 formatted as firstname.lastname@ourdomain.com.

When I log into a users personal site on SharePoint and use the site mailbox app, it will create a box for that user and generate an entire new e mail address for that user based on their name instead of using the existing mailbox already created for them in exchange.

This makes no sense to me as why it does this and I am not even sure if that is the proper behavior. One would think it makes sense to use an existing box for the user instead of creating another mailbox.

So can you assign an existing user mailbox to a users personal site? I have stumbled upon the Set-SiteMailbox cmdlet but I don't know if that is a step in the right direction or not.

Another thing I note is site mailboxes do not show up in the ECP. Am I missing something here?

Thanks

fr0stsp1re

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 6:03 PM