Adding user/group to site collection administrators ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Yesterday we faced one problem in which one user/group was added in the "Site collection Administrator". we wanted to find out the person by whom this user was added in the "Site collection Administrator" but Audit Logs were not configured for our Application so we cannot find it out by Audit log reports.

so what is the other way by which i find out that "By Whom" this user was added in the "Site Collection Administrator" ?  

Looking forward to your valuable inputs.

Thanks.

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 1:40 PM

Answers

• I security auditing isn't enabled I don't think there is any way to determine who may have added that person as a site collection administrator.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Principal Architect: Blue Chip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

• Marked as answer by Akhil48 Monday, March 6, 2017 3:42 PM
    Wednesday, February 8, 2017 1:46 PM
  • If Auditing has not been enabled you cannot find this, one option will be go through ULS logs of the day and find out users who accessed the site but this will be very cumbersome, at the sametime only a Site Administrator can add another Site Admin so your search should be narrow.

There is no straight forward solution to this

hanks

Kislay

Please mark post as Answer if it has answered your query

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 3:08 PM

All replies

• I security auditing isn't enabled I don't think there is any way to determine who may have added that person as a site collection administrator.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Principal Architect: Blue Chip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 1:46 PM
  • If Auditing has not been enabled you cannot find this, one option will be go through ULS logs of the day and find out users who accessed the site but this will be very cumbersome, at the sametime only a Site Administrator can add another Site Admin so your search should be narrow.

There is no straight forward solution to this

hanks

Kislay

Please mark post as Answer if it has answered your query

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 3:08 PM
  • Hi Akhil48,

We can find out the person by whom this user was added in the "Site collection Administrator" from audit log report.

It is recorded in the Security Settings report: 

You can find the person by whom this user was added in the "Site collection Administrator" from "User Id" field.

Make sure you have enable audit in your site collection, site settings->Site collection audit settings:

Start Audit Log Trimming Time job of corresponding web application from CA manually.

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, February 9, 2017 8:50 AM
  • Hi Akhil48,

Is there anything update?

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if it helps.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, February 13, 2017 11:33 AM