none
DPM 2012 Exchange 2007 DPM has detected a discontinuity in the log chain for RRS feed

• Question

• Hi 

I have recently deployed DPM 2012 on a Site, and created a Protection Group to backup 3 Exchange 2007 Databases, the solution seemed to work fine for a week. The Client has migrated a large amount of mailboxes - One of the Storage groups will no longer backup and an error stating "DPM has detected a discontinuity in the log chain for ....."

I currently have the protection group configured to create a Recovery point every 4 Hours and to run an Express backup at 12 am Each Night

From reading previous post there may be a conflict between the Recovery Point and Express Backup - Could somebody please advise on the best approach to resolving this issue - I am potentially thinking about - changing the Recovery Point Creation to run once every 24 hours and then run an Express backup at 1 am

Would appreciate if somebody to assist

Raymond

RDunne76

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 11:18 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It's hard to say without looking at the dpmra error log on the exchange server. But something happened to the exchange log file(s) that lead to the DPM backup error.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Rdunne76 Thursday, November 29, 2012 5:02 PM
    Thursday, November 15, 2012 3:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Nothing in DPM configuration will cause this error. It seems that exchange logs got truncated by another backup outside of DPM or a log somehow got deleted.

See the following article, it should also apply to DPM 2012.

970643 Error when you use System Center Data Protection Manager 2007 to protect an Exchange storage group: "0x800423f3" or "0x80004005"
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/970643/EN-US

If that does not resolve the issue, please follows the following steps:
    a. Enable circular logging on the Effected Storage Group
    b. Dismount the DB and mount it again. [This will make sure all the existing logs will be replayed to database and logs will be deleted after that]
    c. Disable circular logging
    d. Dismount the DB and mount it again.
    e. Run ExpressFull from DPM. It should succeed.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, November 15, 2012 12:26 AM
  • Hi Mike

There are no other backup products for this server - DPM is backing up the Databases and doing a bare metal and system state backup also. The Mailboxes were migrated from a Server using another backup product. Could it be a case that during the Mail Migration one of the log files was damaged.

Raymond

RDunne76

Thursday, November 15, 2012 3:49 PM
  • Hi,

It's hard to say without looking at the dpmra error log on the exchange server. But something happened to the exchange log file(s) that lead to the DPM backup error.

• Marked as answer by Rdunne76 Thursday, November 29, 2012 5:02 PM
    Thursday, November 15, 2012 3:57 PM
  • Hi Mike /Moderator - Looks like the logs files were manually moved about hence the issue - resolved now - Many Thanks for your help Raymond

RDunne76

Thursday, November 29, 2012 5:01 PM
  • I also seem to encounter the same issue. I am running Exchange 2013 in a two server implementation (both multi-role servers) host a single DAG between them with one mailbox database in the DAG, active on one server and passive on the other. We'll call them server1 and server 2, currently the database is active on server 2 and passive on server 1

I run backups using DPM 2012 SP1 in the following way:

Server 1

Nightly copy-backup at 20:00 on server 1 (as mailbox database on this server is member of a DAG and you cannot run full-backup on both due to federated log truncation)

Server 2

Nightly full-backup at 20:00 on server 2 with synchronisation every 4 hours

Occasionally a backup job will fail with the error:

"DPM has detected a discontinuity in the log chain for Exchange Mailbox Database Mailbox Database 1 on server 2  since the last synchronization. (ID 30216 Details: Unspecified error (0x80004005))"

Are my backup jobs configured in a sub-optimal way or does anyone think there is something else going on? I as I say this does not affect all my backup jobs and doesn't occur at the same time. It's sporadic.

Thursday, February 20, 2014 11:07 AM
  • Hi,

You can use eseutil on the node you are doing full backups on and see what log is missing.

See this Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/b/timmcmic/archive/2012/03/12/exchange-2010-log-truncation-and-checkpoint-at-log-creation-in-a-database-availability-group.aspx

Once you find the missing log, you can copy it from a passive node.

You can also look to see if log truncation events took place before DPM scheduled job ran that had the error. 

See this blog: http://blogs.technet.com/b/timmcmic/archive/2011/09/26/exchange-server-2010-and-system-center-data-protection-manager-2010.aspx#3455825

Thursday, February 20, 2014 4:43 PM
  • Thank you. I will give your suggestion a try and report back with the results!

Cheers

Friday, February 21, 2014 5:56 PM