Pushing an image across a WAN and adding it to a domain RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone.

I work for a state government agency that has two satellite offices in the same state.  Whenever we have to rebuild a PC/reimage a PC in either of those offices we have to build the PC at the main office and then drive it to the satellite office.  I am wondering if there is a better solution.  We do have a high-speed WAN set up between these locations so speed/bottlenecking is not really an issue.

Ultimately what I would like to do is this: be able to push an image across the WAN to a PC in a satellite office and then have a way to add it into the domain located in the main office.  This all needs to be done somehow from the main office as we have no IT staff in either satellite location.

Any suggestions or advice in this matter would be EXTREMELY appreciated.

Thank you all for your time!!!!

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 2:41 PM

All replies

• Dave, you can deploy across the WAN or setup a second deployment share in the remote offices to handle deployments and use DFS replication, Robocopy, or the built-in linked deployment shares to manage it as one. Either way is not uncommon. You can also pretty much automate the deployment to be as zero-touch as possible, check out this post for examples:

http://scriptimus.wordpress.com/2011/06/23/mdt-2010-sample-customsettings-ini-for-fully-automated-deployments/

The one thing you should be concerned about is how the deployments will be initiated. If you trust your users you could provide them with a boot disk, or even offline media and have them do it themselves while controlling all the settings from the backend.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

• Proposed as answer by tiptronic13 Tuesday, April 29, 2014 5:20 PM
    Tuesday, April 29, 2014 3:51 PM
  • Frank,

Thank you for your informative and quick response to my question.  It is greatly appreciated.  Unfortunately, your comment about how the deployments will be initiated is the crux of the problem.  Our end-users--I hate to say it--are not very tech-savvy.  I am not entirely sure I would trust them with any part of this process, least of all having to give them network admin level user names and passwords (which might be required).  I will check out the link you provided above and see what I can do with it.  

Again I greatly appreciate your assistance!

Regards,

David

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 1:25 PM