Outlook search not working correctly RRS feed

• Question

• Outlook 2010 SP2 32bit
    Windows 7 SP1

When I search a folder and instruct to include subfolders, it actually pulls results from the entire mailbox

Here you can see a search in the Equipment folder, and I have selected subfolders. Simple search for network solutions pulls up results from the Junk E-Mail folder.

Furthermore, if I inspect the properties of the first result, it says it is in the Equipment folder. It definitely is not, there is actually only one message in the Equipment folder.

So far I have disabled all add-ins, rebuilt the Windows index in control panel and built a new Outlook profile. Same result.

I've searched for this problem tirelessly, only to find instances of search not working at all, or incomplete results. Nothing about returning results from wrong folders.

Thanks

Mind IT

• Edited by Mind IT Monday, November 24, 2014 4:12 PM Clarification
    Monday, November 24, 2014 4:11 PM

Answers

• Removing Windows Search, rebooting and re-adding it did not work.

What ultimately worked, and I am not sure which action corrected it,

Removed Microsoft Office
    Deleted the user's Windows profile
    Recreated the user's Windows profile
    Reinstalled Microsoft Office

Thanks for your assistance.

• Marked as answer by Mind IT Friday, December 5, 2014 12:56 PM
    Friday, December 5, 2014 12:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What is the type of account configured in Outlook (POP3, IMAP or Exchange/MAPI)? If it's an Exchange account, are you in Online mode or Cached mode?

Please note that searching against Exchange Online mode would depend on the Exchange Search service, not the Windows Desktop Search (WDS) feature of the operating system. So if you are in Online mode, you might need to troubleshoot the Index on Exchange server side instead of Windows index.

Also, this article might be helpful, please take a look and try the steps in it: http://www.msoutlook.info/question/47

(Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

Regards,

Ethan Hua
    TechNet Community Support

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 10:36 AM
  • Exchange 2010 SP3
    Cached Mode

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 11:19 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. So it's an Exchange account with cached mode enabled and rebuilt the Windows index in control panel didn't fix it. I would recommend trying to reinstall the Windows Search feature and see if it works:

1. Control Panel-> Programs-> Turn Windows features on or off
    2. Deselect: Windows Search
    3. Press OK and wait until the installer is finished.
    4. Reboot your computer.
    5. Repeat the above steps to enable it again.

Hope it helps!

Regards,

Ethan Hua
    TechNet Community Support

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.

Friday, November 28, 2014 11:24 AM
  • Removing Windows Search, rebooting and re-adding it did not work.

What ultimately worked, and I am not sure which action corrected it,

Removed Microsoft Office
    Deleted the user's Windows profile
    Recreated the user's Windows profile
    Reinstalled Microsoft Office

Thanks for your assistance.

• Marked as answer by Mind IT Friday, December 5, 2014 12:56 PM
    Friday, December 5, 2014 12:55 PM