Vista Ultimate and changing CPU's RRS feed

• Question

• ASUS M2A-VM motherboard

Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1800 (Model 78xxx, Combo ATSC/QAM)
    Windows Vista Ultimate

4 GB Ram   with AMD 64 X 2 4400

I have been using this self made computer since Vista was released and was going to update the processor. I first tried an AMD 64 X 2 6400  and than tried a AMD 64 X 2 5600 and I have the same problem with both CPU's.

After I change out the processor and restart I get an error message when I start Media Center that I have no TV tuner installed. It does this with both the 5600 and 6400. If I put the 4400 processor back in than I have the TV tuner installed and Media Center works correctly.

I installed 64 X 2 6400 in another motherboard and installed Vista Ultimate with another TV tuner and everything works great. I have not tried the 5600 in another board but I believe that it will work correctly without neeed for checking. 

Is this problem caused by my changing of the CPU and the licensing protection features? In the past versions of Windows it was easy to upgrade a CPU for better performance and this is the first time I have tried it with Vista.

Any help would be great,

Bob

Thursday, September 18, 2008 3:05 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Bob,

I had the same thing happen to me yesterday when I changed the CPU from an A64 3000+ to an Opteron 144, in my Vista Ultimate PC that I use as a Media Centre with a Haupage Tuner Card.

The solution is quite straight forward....

You need to delete DRM folder that stores licenses for Media Center.

Open up Windows Explorer and click on Organize, go to Folder and Search options, under the View tab uncheck the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) box, and the Hide extensions for known file types box, change the Hidden files and folders from Do not show hidden files and folders to Show hidden files and folders.

Do a Search under C: for the DRM folder and delete it. (or them...when I searched for it, I found 2 DRM folders)

Restart your PC and you should find that Media Center now works OK

Interestingly I found that although the view folder options were as stated above you could see the folders when having done a search , but not if you navigated to the directory where it was supposed to be!

Hope this helps you out like it did me.

Roj

Sunday, September 21, 2008 11:10 AM
  • Thank you! This does seem to be the answer and I'll try it soon, today is football day and even a geek can like football. On searching the knowledgebase on DRM it was easy to find    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891664 .  This article is perfect once you know that you look for " DRM ".

" This issue occurs because the Windows Media DRM system maintains information based on the hardware configuration of the computer. If certain components are changed, Windows Media DRM may not work because it may view the change as an unauthorized attempt to move protected content to another computer.

This issue may occur if you have made one or more of the following changes to your computer hardware:

You recently changed hardware components, such as the CPU or the motherboard.
    You modified any one of your computer's Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) settings that affect hardware components, such as disabling CPU hyper-threading.
    You moved the hard disk drive from one computer to another computer."

MS does have some weird ways of doing things, I would have never guessed the reason and such a simple solution.

Thank you again!

Bob

Sunday, September 21, 2008 11:47 AM
  • It does work!! You can not delete all the files in the DRM folder, of course MS made some protected so I left them, and the files that did delete where enough to fix. It took awhile longer to start the computer the first time but I do have a TV tuner and a working Media Center.

Thanks Again,

Bob

Monday, September 22, 2008 1:14 PM

All replies

• Bob

After you upgrade the CPU, you may need to prompt the TV Tuner card to rescan for hardware changes.

Install the new CPU, go to Control Panel/Device Manager.

Locate the TV Tuner device, right click the device and select the 'Scan for hardware changes' option. After this finishes, reboot the computer and check the Media Center again.

If this does not fix the problem, try uninstalling the TV Tuner device, reboot and let Vista re-detect the device. Make sure you have the latest device driver / firmware for this device.

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer or Helpful button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Friday, September 19, 2008 12:04 AM
  • I had tried that. I took out the card rebooted and than shut down. I installed the tuner and restarted and Vista does not recognize the tuner even if I scan for hardware changes. I've used this motherboard on maybe 20 builds and never had a problem on FRESH builds and this is the only one I've tried to upgrade the processor on. The next time I have 20 minutes to play with I'm going to change out the CPU on another Vista computer with a TV tuner and see what happens. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks,

Bob

Friday, September 19, 2008 11:46 AM
  •  

Hi Bob,

I had the same thing happen to me yesterday when I changed the CPU from an A64 3000+ to an Opteron 144, in my Vista Ultimate PC that I use as a Media Centre with a Haupage Tuner Card.

The solution is quite straight forward....

You need to delete DRM folder that stores licenses for Media Center.

Open up Windows Explorer and click on Organize, go to Folder and Search options, under the View tab uncheck the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) box, and the Hide extensions for known file types box, change the Hidden files and folders from Do not show hidden files and folders to Show hidden files and folders.

Do a Search under C: for the DRM folder and delete it. (or them...when I searched for it, I found 2 DRM folders)

Restart your PC and you should find that Media Center now works OK

Interestingly I found that although the view folder options were as stated above you could see the folders when having done a search , but not if you navigated to the directory where it was supposed to be!

Hope this helps you out like it did me.

Roj

Sunday, September 21, 2008 11:10 AM
  • Thank you! This does seem to be the answer and I'll try it soon, today is football day and even a geek can like football. On searching the knowledgebase on DRM it was easy to find    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891664 .  This article is perfect once you know that you look for " DRM ".

" This issue occurs because the Windows Media DRM system maintains information based on the hardware configuration of the computer. If certain components are changed, Windows Media DRM may not work because it may view the change as an unauthorized attempt to move protected content to another computer.

This issue may occur if you have made one or more of the following changes to your computer hardware:

You recently changed hardware components, such as the CPU or the motherboard.
    You modified any one of your computer's Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) settings that affect hardware components, such as disabling CPU hyper-threading.
    You moved the hard disk drive from one computer to another computer."

MS does have some weird ways of doing things, I would have never guessed the reason and such a simple solution.

Thank you again!

Bob

Sunday, September 21, 2008 11:47 AM
  • It does work!! You can not delete all the files in the DRM folder, of course MS made some protected so I left them, and the files that did delete where enough to fix. It took awhile longer to start the computer the first time but I do have a TV tuner and a working Media Center.

Thanks Again,

Bob

Monday, September 22, 2008 1:14 PM