Win 10 key ? Win 10 Pro? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, I have just gone through the entire Vista to 7HP then 7 PRO then Win 10. I was activated ok, Within two days WIn 10 decided to "refresh during reboot" now it will not activate, is there a key I should have received since my 7Pro key WILL NOT work!   Do I have to format and begin again? I am a student and cannot spend days and nights reinstalling Windows.

Also, I have been an "insider" for months, I am still being told that we get a copy of win 10 pro.   HOW???????????

Thanks in advance,

Ray P.

• Moved by Noel D Paton Thursday, August 27, 2015 5:57 AM not a Win7 WGA problem
    Wednesday, August 26, 2015 6:48 PM

Answers

All replies

• Thursday, August 27, 2015 10:55 PM
  • Psylosyphyr

To get Windows 10 Pro installation file is easy to use media creation tool:

Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

Additional, for upgrade one, we don't need to activate since Windows 10 should take the activation status from your original Windows 7.

If we still fail to activate Windows 10 after you contact the activation center from above suggestions, we may have to revert back to your genuine Windows 7, make sure to activated successfully, then try the free upgrade again.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, August 30, 2015 7:11 AM
  • Hi Ray,

Same problem here, and the two solutions I found:

1.) spent a week (or so) reinstalling win 7/8 upgrading and upgrading to win 10. (especially if you are on a metered connection 3$ /GB :((

2.) buy a win 10 pro activation key

You might also try to call the MS hotline they might help you get an win 10 pro key out of your win 7/8/8.1 key

(Didn't help me as my Laptop was originally Vista, but it was the newest model which still had a serial port!)

Good luck

M

Thursday, October 1, 2015 11:23 PM
  • Hi all, I have just gone through the entire Vista to 7HP then 7 PRO then Win 10. I was activated ok, Within two days WIn 10 decided to "refresh during reboot" now it will not activate, is there a key I should have received since my 7Pro key WILL NOT work!   Do I have to format and begin again? I am a student and cannot spend days and nights reinstalling Windows.

Also, I have been an "insider" for months, I am still being told that we get a copy of win 10 pro.   HOW???????????

Thanks in advance,

Ray P.

Your windows 7 product key cannot activate Windows 10. I suspect something went wrong in your upgrade. I had a few of those.

I would do a clean install of Windows 7 Pro and make sure that it activates, then upgrade it manually from the Windows 10 ISO file.  It should upgrade to Windows 10 Pro and activate automatically.

Windows activation is different in Windows 10. You do not need to enter a product key to reinstall. If you reinstall on the same hardware you can skip the product key step and it will reactivate. This is not just Windows hype, it does work. I have done it several times an varying hardware (including virtual machines).

Bill

Friday, October 2, 2015 12:38 AM