Public Folder (Empty) - Generating 2,000+ log files a day. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Have an issue currently with one of my Mailbox Servers.  We have 9 servers in total.  Three of which have the Mailbox Role.  Servers two and three are fine.  The first server's Public Folder SG is generating a large amount of logs.  Mainly during the early hours.  The bulk seem to start around 1AM and finish around 5AM which suggests its the Maintentance (Set to 1-5AM daily).

Also the database itself is a huge 200GB in size... its empty! It's used for backwards compatibility of course for Outlook clients but still, the Address Books shouldnt be 200Gb in size.

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        MSExchangeIS Public Store
    Date:          3/15/2011 4:59:59 AM
    Event ID:      1221
    Task Category: General
    Level:         Information
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Description:
    The database "Storage Group 02\Public Folder Database" has 77315 megabytes of free space after online defragmentation has terminated.

Replication is now set to every 2 hours.  It was set to All the time.  This doesnt seem to have made any difference.  The other servers are still on All the time but these do not suffer from huge log generations.

Exchange SP1. Update roll up 9.
    Kaspersky is configured to not scan the DB and Log directories.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 9:01 AM

Answers

• I piped it into a text file since it was a rather large output.

I found this on a number of address books (which we have a lot of)...

TotalAssociatedItemSize : 0B
    TotalDeletedItemSize    : 2423029989B
    TotalItemSize           : 4856505B

Does this suggest the deleted items are where space is going?

I've just been checking.  Upon other implementations we seem to see the same occurrence where the Public Folder on the first server is rather large and generates a high number of logs.  I guess this is something we don't need to worry about then. 

For reference though to get the TotalDeletedItemSize down we could change the purge on the database from 14 days to something lower?

• Marked as answer by Mike Crowley Wednesday, March 23, 2011 2:15 AM
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 3:18 PM
  • I'm not sure enabling Circular Logging is needed.  I can see that obviously the dumpster for each address books is large.

Looking at our other sites the first server (the server that generates the books) all have a lot of log files so it looks like this is actually not an issue at all.

Thanks for all the advice on this one but it looks like this can be closed up as its not actually an issue at all.

• Proposed as answer by Terence Yu Monday, March 21, 2011 8:48 AM
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 9:08 AM

All replies

• if you try this command , what does it show in the output, and which folders have the space:

Get-PublicFolderStatistics -Server "My Server" | Format-List

-join("74686979616775313440686F746D61696C2E636F6D"-split"(?<=\G.{2})",21|%{[char][int]"0x$_"}) www.myExchangeWorld.com This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:05 PM
  • I piped it into a text file since it was a rather large output.

I found this on a number of address books (which we have a lot of)...

TotalAssociatedItemSize : 0B
    TotalDeletedItemSize    : 2423029989B
    TotalItemSize           : 4856505B

Does this suggest the deleted items are where space is going?

I've just been checking.  Upon other implementations we seem to see the same occurrence where the Public Folder on the first server is rather large and generates a high number of logs.  I guess this is something we don't need to worry about then. 

For reference though to get the TotalDeletedItemSize down we could change the purge on the database from 14 days to something lower?

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 3:18 PM
  • Generating  massive log files because you are not configure daily backup for your Public folder.To avoid the massive log files from the public folder take the properties of Public folder database and enable the Circular logging.
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 6:06 AM

• Hi

You can configure Exchange to save disk space by enabling circular logging. Circular logging allows Exchange to overwrite transaction log files after the data that the log files contain is committed to the database. However, if circular logging is enabled, you can recover data only up until the last full backup. For example, you can enable circular logging when using Exchange native data protection, in which you don't make backups. To prevent log buildup, you need to enable circular logging. 

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb331958.aspx

It explains circular logging and what it does. Enable circular logging and wait a bit for it to purge some logs. Then disable it and run your backup. I wouldn't recommend it without a good backup first.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 7:05 AM
  • Generating  massive log files because you are not configure daily backup for your Public folder.To avoid the massive log files from the public folder take the properties of Public folder database and enable the Circular logging.
    You think an organisation with 20,000+ users and 9 Exchange Servers have no backup solution?  Backups are working fine.  Just because the server is generating 2,000+ log files doesn't mean we have no backup solution.  Besides even without a backup solution this would still be generating 2,000 logs per day .
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 8:56 AM
  • I'm not sure enabling Circular Logging is needed.  I can see that obviously the dumpster for each address books is large.

Looking at our other sites the first server (the server that generates the books) all have a lot of log files so it looks like this is actually not an issue at all.

Thanks for all the advice on this one but it looks like this can be closed up as its not actually an issue at all.

• Proposed as answer by Terence Yu Monday, March 21, 2011 8:48 AM
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 9:08 AM