Vista sleeps, but fans all continue running RRS feed

• Question

• I have just installed Vista 64 Ultimate on my PC and, while it took some fiddling with the ACPI settings in the BIOS, I can get Vista to sleep.  However, while Vista sleeps, the fans all continue to run.  I can hear the optical and hard disks stop spinning and park, all the accessories turn off, but those fans ALL run. 

The PC will only sleep when I limit the mobo to ACPI S1 mode.  I am running the latest video drivers and the system board has the latest firmware.  In the power options the USB devices are set to selectively suspend.  I have tried unplugging all the USB devices and then sleeping, but no luck.

Can someone help me figure out how to get those fans to stop?

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 7:03 PM

Answers

• Hi Mossberg,

In BIOS of most ASUS motherboards, we could adjust fan related settings in advanced power settings. I suggest that you download the instruction for your motherboard from ASUS website and check the settings referring the instruction.

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Select the correct model and then you will enter the download page. Please download the instruction. I suggest that you either download the latest BIOS update if it exists.

If there are questions regarding BIOS settings, ASUS support will help us on it.

http://livesupport.asus.com/oapts.html

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 4:22 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Some non-laptop machines fans will not turn off because the computer detects AC power supplied. There may be a setting in the BIOS for this, but that is very specific to motherboard manufacturer and model.

If your computer is not laptop, please let me know if it is from computer manufacturer or it is built by yourself.

System resources like fan power are controlled via your BIOS. If it is a manufacturer computer, I suggest that Update your BIOS from your computer manufacturer webpage. If the fan still stays on in Sleep Mode, I suggest that you contact the computer manufacturer support and confirm if you need to change some power settings in BIOS.

If the computer is built by yourself, please contact the technical support of the motherboard.

Thursday, October 16, 2008 8:18 AM
  • Arthur,

I did build this PC myself and I will check for those power settings.  I did look for settings that would affect the fans in the BIOS, and didn't see them, but I will check again.  The BIOS is up to the latest manufacturer's (Asus) supported revision.

Thanks,

Mossberg

Thursday, October 16, 2008 4:07 PM
  • Hi Mossberg,

In BIOS of most ASUS motherboards, we could adjust fan related settings in advanced power settings. I suggest that you download the instruction for your motherboard from ASUS website and check the settings referring the instruction.

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Select the correct model and then you will enter the download page. Please download the instruction. I suggest that you either download the latest BIOS update if it exists.

If there are questions regarding BIOS settings, ASUS support will help us on it.

http://livesupport.asus.com/oapts.html

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 4:22 AM