none
Internet Explorer displaying Yahoo webpage with text/links only. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows 7 machine with IE11. It will display yahoo.com as if can not load any images on the page.

I have reset IE back to defaults and does not fix the issue. Other web browsers display this site correctly.
    I have uninstalled IE 11 and by doing so the version of IE defaulted to IE 8 which showed the same symptoms. This seems to trail to any subdomains such as search.yahoo and mail.yahoo.

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 10:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I recommend you test this issue in another new user account.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-7

If there is no issue in the new user account, we can repair this one:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/fix-corrupted-user-profile#1TC=windows-7

In addition, since this issue can be also caused by security block, test in IE with no add-on mode, and inPrivate mode to see the results.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 21, 2016 2:23 AM
  • Thanks Kate. I will try this today and respond back with results.
    Thursday, January 21, 2016 2:44 PM
  • There is no change. I have logged into Windows with a new (domain) profile, have tried to run with no add-ons and in-private mode and the webpage(s) still show as pictured; the issue spans across user accounts.
    Thursday, January 21, 2016 9:06 PM
  • Any other ideas?
    Monday, January 25, 2016 2:14 PM
  • Hi,

I have tested again on my another computer with IE8 without any issue.

Please try compatibility view to see if there is any change:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/use-compatibility-view#ie=ie-8

Also, in Internet option, Security tab, please add it to trusted site.

If the Protected mode is turned on in IE, disable it to check the results.

Since you are in domain environment, consider if there is security policy block rendering site image or script components.

Please post back the html file after running this command: gpresult /h

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 25, 2016 3:23 PM
  • Compatibility view did not work.

Trusted site did not work

Protected mode is already off.

The only GPO's are for drive mappings, disabling UAC, and blocking Windows 10 upgrades. The AD controller is a Server 2012 R2 machines, and IEAK is not installed or being used.Is there another way to get the HTML results to you? Some of the information in that lists the users full name and business, and would not like to post onto a public forum.

Monday, January 25, 2016 6:35 PM
  • will display yahoo.com as if can not load any images on the page.

Looks more like it won't load or use CSS.  E.g. you may see similar results by using View, Style, No style (Alt-V y N).  You could use the Developer Tools, Network capture to see what is happening to CSS.  It would probably be best to have two otherwise identical traces to compare for the significant difference. 

Unfortunately I cannot test your case for you.  I get redirected even when I try starting with  United States (English) link in the International page.

One thing that seems surprising is the "Upgrade to the new Firefox" link at the top.  If that is real it could mean that the site it trying to tell you something about the User-Agent string that IE11 is sending with its requests.  In that case you could try using the Developer Tools, Emulation tab to specify a different User-Agent string to give it.  But I still get re-directed even when I try using the UAS for Mozilla Firefox.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 1:09 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi Robert. That Firefox is basically an advert/link on Yahoo's webpage.

I am not familiar with CSS or anything much of the sort. Is there any ways to repair this within IE?

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 8:39 PM
  • Is there any ways to repair this within IE?

You shouldn't think of looking for a "repair" until you at least have an idea of the scope of your problem and a hypothesis for a cause.  Please try tracing from the link I gave you.  Presumably you won't get the same redirects that I do but at least you will then have captured your whole normal sequence.  If the link I gave you results in the same symptom on its page then we would at least have something to compare.  Going to the UK site would be another point of comparison.  Strangely I can get there but can't get to the US one.  It may be another example of needing to find an undocumented switch to force a major US site to allow a visit and prevent redirects based on "locale" or location.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 10:51 PM
    Answerer