none
MRT.exe

Question

• Hi

I my Windows/System32 folder I have both MRT and MRT-KB890830, which are the same size, modified the same day, the same minute, just like some twins or clones.

Should I keep both or is it safe to remove one, since it takes 127 MB?

Thanks

Saturday, July 7, 2018 4:12 PM

All replies

• Yes, you can probably delete them but will come down again at next windows update. More info here.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/890830/remove-specific-prevalent-malware-with-windows-malicious-software-remo#Faq

https://www.howtogeek.com/180773/what-is-the-malicious-software-removal-tool-and-do-i-need-it/

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Saturday, July 7, 2018 4:32 PM
  • Thanks a lot!
    Saturday, July 7, 2018 5:42 PM
  • You're welcome.

(please mark helpful replies as answers)

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Saturday, July 7, 2018 6:17 PM
  • Hi,

Some additional information

The MRT.exe file is run monthly by the Windows Update process in order to confirm that no well known malware has infiltrated your computer.  If it has, a separate popup would display telling you what it had detected and whether any action was necessary.  However, in most cases the program will simply run and exit quietly, with no additional display if nothing of concern has been found.

Best Regards,
    Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, July 9, 2018 3:24 AM
  • Hi,

Just check the situation about your issue.

Best Regards,
    Frank

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, July 10, 2018 9:38 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved? 

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.
    If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.
    If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,
    Frank

Friday, July 13, 2018 10:05 AM