none
Failed DHCP migration event ID 1046 RRS feed

• Question

• I've tried twice to migrate DHCP off of our 2003 box so we can decommission it which is something I've done many times easily using the netsh command but for some reason this time it didn't work. The target box is 2008R2. The import and export of the scope works well and I can see all the entries on the 2008R2 box but clients don't get IP's even after authorizing the server and stopping DHCP on the old 2003 server. I had to keep DHCP services enabled on the 2003 box. 

Clients were getting the APIPA 169.xxx.xxx.xxx address which means they could not reach DHCP

Today I filtered the event logs on the the 2008R2 box for DHCP-Server events and I see the following event ID 1046 immediately after 1044. Any idea how I can resolve event ID 1046?

The DHCP/BINL service on the local machine, belonging to the Windows Administrative domain sample.domain.com, has determined that it is not authorized to start.  It has stopped servicing clients.  The following are some possible reasons for this: 
    This machine is part of a directory service enterprise and is not authorized in the same domain.  (See help on the DHCP Service Management Tool for additional information). 

This machine cannot reach its directory service enterprise and it has encountered another DHCP service on the network belonging to a directory service enterprise on which the local machine is not authorized. 

Some unexpected network error occurred.

• Edited by GlenTech83 Wednesday, June 12, 2019 5:24 PM
    Wednesday, June 12, 2019 5:22 PM

Answers

All replies