none
IE 11 Hide Address bar but keep Forward and Back buttons or disable typing in address bar

Question

• Hi

I would like to hide the address bar but still be able to use the forward and back buttons and some other features.  I have add the rege key to remove nav bar but that removes everything.  Im using this in a citrix xendesktop environment.  I will deploy a site but don't want the users to navigate to other sites.  For instance go to our intranet site but stop them from going to our firewall gui page. So when they click on links I wont them to be able to go back to the previous page.  Any ideas?

Thursday, July 17, 2014 6:22 AM

Answers

• Hi,

It's designed by default, and we cannot only hide address bar. Thanks for your understanding.

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 8:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If you only want the user to use the specific website you deployed, you can set that website as a homepage in Internet Explorer, then edit the registry as you mentioned to remove the nav bar, F5 to refresh registry.

IE will be displayed as below (I set Technet webpage as example, if you want back\forward, just right click the blank space of the webpage.)

Yolanda Zhu

Friday, July 18, 2014 5:22 AM
  • Hi Yolanda,

Thanks for the response.  Yeah, I saw that I could do that as well.  I was really hoping that I could bring back the forward and back buttons, so that our users don't call us asking how to go back and forth on  a webpage.  Even if I send them instructions they still call. :(

Friday, July 18, 2014 2:13 PM
  • Hi,

It's designed by default, and we cannot only hide address bar. Thanks for your understanding.

Yolanda Zhu

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 8:19 AM
  • Hi Yolanda,

Ok.  Thanks for the information.

Craig Hollar

Thursday, July 24, 2014 3:11 PM
  • I know its old but if still have the issue go DL hp thin shell and install it. you can Shell the page and only add forward and back. Sweet lil app.

Friday, September 18, 2015 2:03 PM
  • Yolanda. I have same issue. I have a workstation that I need to use like a kiosk machine but need the navigation buttons. I had this all set and working in IE8. It worked great because the home favorites and gear setting icons were on a different tool bar. Now they have been moved to address bar. I would like to use gpo to prevent users from using those buttons but I am unable to find gpo settings to block all the settings. Yes my users can not get into the addons to change but they can still get to that screen. So not really seeing that IE11 is better. yes I know you say that is the way it is. But it Microsoft is about security and being able to look things down to a granular level then this is an eipic fail.
    Wednesday, May 4, 2016 3:49 PM