none
Best way to migrate existing DPM 2012 to DPM 2016 on a different server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I currently have a physical DPM 2012 in location A - attached storage (iscsi) & tape library, virtual secondary DPM in location B. I want to build a new VM with DPM 2016 and migrate everything from the current physical DPM 2012 to it, including history, protection groups, etc.

What's the best way to accomplish this?

Thank you for your time!

TTwa

Friday, November 18, 2016 2:34 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I would stay on Windows 2012 R2 until you are ready to take the plunge on using Modern Storage feature that Windows 2016 enables.  You will need separate disk(s) for modern storage and once you upgrade to DPM 2016 on Server 2016 the option to use legacy storage for new protection is not possible.

So with that said, go ahead and upgrade both Secondary and Primary DPM servers to DPM 2012 R2 + Update Rollup 11 (UR11).   Get the protected servers agents updated, then follow these steps to migrate the physical primary dpm 2012 R2 UR11 server to a VM.

1) Cancel all pending scheduled backup jobs for the day and wait for running jobs to complete.
    2) Make a backup of the DPM database.  Make a note of the version of SQL server + SP's if the new DPM Server is going to use local instance.
    3) Copy the backup of the DPMDB to a network share on another server.
    4) Shutdown the Physical DPM Server.
    5) Reset the machine account for the DPM Server in active directory - this will allow you to reuse the machine account for the virtual DPM Server.
    6) Install Windows 2012 R2 + updates on the new virtual machine.
    7) Rename the machine to the same name as the original primary DPM Sever and join the domain.
    8) Install SQL Server + SP's as original DPM Server.
    9) Install DPM 2012 R2 plus UR11.
    10) Copy the DPMDB from the network location to the local DPM server.
    11) Restore the DPMDB
    12 Attach the DPM Storage pool disks to the Virtual DPM Server.
    13) Open disk management and import the foreign disks.
    14) Run DPMSYNC -SYNC
    15) Open the DPM console and check agent communications and make sure DPM storage pool disks look good- then run consistency checks on all data sources.

From here, you can upgrade to DPM 2016, and when you are ready to move to Modern Storage, upgrade Windows 2012 R2 to Windows 2016.  No need to do anything special with DPM 2016, it can handle the operating system upgrade.  Once upgraded to Windows 2016, all new protection will require separate a volume added to the DPM storage pool, so add a new .VHDX and make a volume on it, then add the volume to the storage pool. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by TTwa Monday, November 28, 2016 2:07 PM
    Monday, November 21, 2016 11:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Before taking the leap of virtualizing the physical primary DPM server, you first need to make sure the tape library will work in a virtualized Windows 2016 server if using a Virtual Fiber HBA. We have seen some tape libraries that don't work in a VM even when they work perfect on a physical server.  The IBM 35xx libraries are one that I know about that has problems when attached to Vfc.  If it's an Iscsi attached library, then that should work fine.

Assuming the library is a non-issue, then you would need to upgrade the secondary and primary to DPM 2012 R2 + UR11 before you can upgrade to DPM 2016.  Once you are there, then you can upgrade both secondary and primary to DPM 2016.  Once there, then you can build the new VM to replace the primary DPM server.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, November 18, 2016 10:54 PM
  • Hi Mike,

I'm testing Starwind tape redirector for the library-VM connection through iSCSI. (Having an issue seeing the target portal from a VM, but that's another issue - have to get that fixed first before taking the plunge.)

Provided that I can get to the last step of replacing the primary VM, what's the best/recommended way of doing that. Will I have to keep the same name? Will it make a difference if the OS is server 2016?

Regards

TTwa

• Edited by TTwa Monday, November 21, 2016 2:25 PM
    Monday, November 21, 2016 2:24 PM
  • Hi,

I would stay on Windows 2012 R2 until you are ready to take the plunge on using Modern Storage feature that Windows 2016 enables.  You will need separate disk(s) for modern storage and once you upgrade to DPM 2016 on Server 2016 the option to use legacy storage for new protection is not possible.

So with that said, go ahead and upgrade both Secondary and Primary DPM servers to DPM 2012 R2 + Update Rollup 11 (UR11).   Get the protected servers agents updated, then follow these steps to migrate the physical primary dpm 2012 R2 UR11 server to a VM.

1) Cancel all pending scheduled backup jobs for the day and wait for running jobs to complete.
    2) Make a backup of the DPM database.  Make a note of the version of SQL server + SP's if the new DPM Server is going to use local instance.
    3) Copy the backup of the DPMDB to a network share on another server.
    4) Shutdown the Physical DPM Server.
    5) Reset the machine account for the DPM Server in active directory - this will allow you to reuse the machine account for the virtual DPM Server.
    6) Install Windows 2012 R2 + updates on the new virtual machine.
    7) Rename the machine to the same name as the original primary DPM Sever and join the domain.
    8) Install SQL Server + SP's as original DPM Server.
    9) Install DPM 2012 R2 plus UR11.
    10) Copy the DPMDB from the network location to the local DPM server.
    11) Restore the DPMDB
    12 Attach the DPM Storage pool disks to the Virtual DPM Server.
    13) Open disk management and import the foreign disks.
    14) Run DPMSYNC -SYNC
    15) Open the DPM console and check agent communications and make sure DPM storage pool disks look good- then run consistency checks on all data sources.

From here, you can upgrade to DPM 2016, and when you are ready to move to Modern Storage, upgrade Windows 2012 R2 to Windows 2016.  No need to do anything special with DPM 2016, it can handle the operating system upgrade.  Once upgraded to Windows 2016, all new protection will require separate a volume added to the DPM storage pool, so add a new .VHDX and make a volume on it, then add the volume to the storage pool. 

• Marked as answer by TTwa Monday, November 28, 2016 2:07 PM
    Monday, November 21, 2016 11:41 PM
  • Thanks for the detailed answer, Mike!

Is this the scenario with least downtime? Another option I have is to P2V the physical DPM. Are there any other options? 

Regards,

TTwa

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 10:49 PM
  • I will finish my DPM 2016 migration next week. Short summary what i did, maybe it is helpful to someone.

Source Server: DPM 2012R2 UR11, Windows Server 2012R2, Hyper-V VM, backups on iSCSI SAN, SQL on Remote SQL 2012 Failover cluster

New Server: DPM 2016, Windows Server 2016, physical server, backups to local disks, local SQL server 2014

1. Upgrade to DPM 2016 on source server, with rollup 1

2. Upgrade all agents for protected servers.

3. Document environment, take dpm database backup

4. Delete old server

5. Reset DPM server AD account

6. Reconfigure Windows Server 2016: name + ip of source server, add iscsi connections for SAN

7. Install and configure local SQL Server 2014 SP2 + latest CU and updates

8. Install DPM 2016 + Rollup 1

9. Restore DPM database from source server with SQL management studio

10. reboot, re-add iSCSI LUNs with import foreign configuration

11. dpmsync -sync

12. consistency check of all replicas required

13. Add local disks as DPM Modern Storage Volumes

14. Delete protection groups on legacy storage (iSCSI SAN) with retain data

15. recreate protection groups with Modern Backup Storage (local disks)

16. Wait until data is copied over

17. Another consistency check is required

I had two problems:

1. We have a protection group for a couple non-domain joined workstations. I needed to recreate the local user accounts on the new dpm server by essentially readding the workstations via a powershell script.

2. Bare Metal Recovery backups on 2008R2 physical domain controllers isn't working for us. Workaround: Take backup on DCs via wbadmin, backup with DPM as normal file backup.

Friday, November 25, 2016 11:00 PM
  • Thanks for your help Mike! I'll add my notes once I complete the migration.

Christian, thanks for sharing your experience!

TTwa

• Edited by TTwa Tuesday, November 29, 2016 5:33 PM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2016 5:25 PM
  • Mike, 

what are the steps if you need to retain the protection groups on the new server since they are associated with Azure long term storage, but you are unable to move the physical disks over?

Can the new server have a different name and are we still able to move the DPMDB over to be able to reuse the Azure storage associated PG's?

Thanks!

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 6:36 PM
  • Hi,

Q1) what are the steps if you need to retain the protection groups on the new server since they are associated with Azure long term storage, but you are unable to move the physical disks over?

A1) From my initial steps, After running the DPMSYNC -SYNC command, add the new disks to the DPM Storage pool then run DPMSYNC -REALLOCATEREPLICA to remake the volumes then run a CC to bring over initial replica.

11) Restore the DPMDB
    12) Run DPMSYNC -SYNC
    13) Open DPM Console and add new Disk(s) to the DPM Storage pool
    14) Run DPMSYNC -RALLOCATEREPLICA
    15) Run a consistency check to bring over new replica data.
    16) Install Azure online agent and re-register the DPM Server with the backup vault.
    17) make sure online backups work, then upgrade to DPM 2016 and migrate to new storage.

Q2) Can the new server have a different name and are we still able to move the DPMDB over to be able to reuse the Azure storage associated PG's?

A2) No - the new DPM server must be the exact same name as original and must be running the same update rollup version prior to the rebuild before restoring the DPMDB

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 9:04 PM
  • I usually build all new DPM servers when I do a major version upgrade. Then I manually attach the existing agents on protected servers to the new DPM server (usually with setdpmserver.exe).

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 5:02 PM
  • I usually build all new DPM servers when I do a major version upgrade. Then I manually attach the existing agents on protected servers to the new DPM server (usually with setdpmserver.exe).

How do you retain old backups and PG's?
    Wednesday, February 8, 2017 5:11 PM

I keep the old DPM server around until the backups expire. In the unlikely situation a restore is needed in the meantime from an older backup, I have two options, both of which aren't too big of a deal:

1. Restore the data to a network location and then copy it over (say for restoring a file from a file share).
    2. Revert the protected server back to the old DPM agent and point it back to the original DPM server. In the grand scheme of a major outage/restore, this would only take a few minutes.
    Wednesday, February 8, 2017 5:15 PM

I keep the old DPM server around until the backups expire. In the unlikely situation a restore is needed in the meantime from an older backup, I have two options, both of which aren't too big of a deal:

1. Restore the data to a network location and then copy it over (say for restoring a file from a file share).
    2. Revert the protected server back to the old DPM agent and point it back to the original DPM server. In the grand scheme of a major outage/restore, this would only take a few minutes.
    Do you also remake the PG's? Are you backing up to Azure as well?
    Wednesday, February 8, 2017 6:36 PM

Do you also remake the PG's? Are you backing up to Azure as well?

Yes. I basically start over new. In the past, this has been a great opportunity to resize the disk allocation for each protected object, as over-allocation was a real problem with DPM. Hopefully that's a thing of the past with the modern backup storage.

In a nutshell, instead of upgrading the DPM server's OS from Windows 2012 R2 to Windows 2016, and then upgrading DPM 2012 R2 to DPM 2016, and then migrating the storage from the old method to the new modern backup storage, I get a clean slate and a fresh start.

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 6:39 PM