none
Executing Multiple Stored Procedure RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

Please if one has a stored procedure that execute multiple other stored procedure:

e.g.

exec usp_A

exec usp_B

exec usp_C

How does the execution work, will the 3 run in sequentially and in parallel. If they run sequentially, will SQL wait for usp_A to finish executing before running usp_B and then usp_C.

If it doesnt, what is the best way to make that happened. Cos I want usp_B to start executing only after usp_A has completed and then for usp_C to start after usp_B has finished.

me

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 5:43 PM

Answers

• Based on the information in this post ( https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/7f1bea3e-0feb-43e1-aaaf-0cf36253f264/how-to-execute-multiple-sql-statements-in-parallel-?forum=transactsql ), SQL Server will perform serial execution by default.

I cannot vouch for the accuracy of this information so I recommend testing.

• Proposed as answer by Javid Doe Tuesday, February 12, 2019 6:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by lilutchay Tuesday, February 12, 2019 9:25 PM
    Tuesday, February 12, 2019 6:37 PM
  • SQL will definitely run usp_A to completion and start usp_B after usp_A finishes.  In the same usp_C will wait for usp_B to finish.

Tom

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 8:15 PM

All replies

• Based on the information in this post ( https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/7f1bea3e-0feb-43e1-aaaf-0cf36253f264/how-to-execute-multiple-sql-statements-in-parallel-?forum=transactsql ), SQL Server will perform serial execution by default.

I cannot vouch for the accuracy of this information so I recommend testing.

• Proposed as answer by Javid Doe Tuesday, February 12, 2019 6:38 PM
    Tuesday, February 12, 2019 6:37 PM
  • SQL will definitely run usp_A to completion and start usp_B after usp_A finishes.  In the same usp_C will wait for usp_B to finish.

Tom

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 8:15 PM