none
DPM 2010 Recovery Point Creation failures RRS feed

• Question

• I'm fairly new at this organization, and the person who set up DPM is not here, and there isn't much on-site knowledge about it.

DPM 2010 is set up to do Recovery Point creation on a server that's a 2008R2 DC, a "bare metal recovery" and "system state" backups. The recovery point creation is failing repeatedly, with ID 3114 (which technet has no useful information on) and when I re-run the recovery point creation manually, it fails again, with the same error.

The only hint is "An unexpected error occurred while the job was running. (ID 104 details: the process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process (0x80070020))"

Thinking that the error might possibly refer to the target rather than the source, I rebooted the server, and retried the backup, with identical results. There are, naturally, no associated errors in the event logs of either the DPM server or the DC.

Any help?

tom

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 8:44 PM

All replies

• System state and BMR backups are handled differently, so depending upon which of these is failing, we need to look in different places.

The system state backup is performed initially to the local disk (usually in c:\windowsimagebackup unless you've changed the location) and then transferred to DPM.

The BMR backup is created directly to a share on the DPM server.

It's worth selecting just the system state to backup initially and see if that works as that will help narrow down what's happening. Obviously if that fails, then look into the system state backup. If that works, reselect the BMR backup and see if that fails again.

You can also see if the BMR backup works manually by creating a share on the DPM server, giving permissions to the machine account for the machine to be backed up, and then running the following command from the server that is to be protected:

wbadmin start backup -allcritical -backupTarget:\\<share created on the DPM server>

If that fails, try backing up to a local drive attached to the machine as well to see if that helps.

You can also test the system state backup manually by using the following command:

Wbadmin start systemstatebackup -backuptarget:e:

Where e: is the drive you want to use to store the system state backup.

If both of these succeed, then it seems more likely that it's a DPM issue.

Check the DPM logs on both the DPM and protected servers. On my DPM server, these are in %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft System Center 2012 R2\DPM\DPM\Temp named MSDPMCurr.errlog and on the protected server they're in %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\Temp and are named DPMRACurr.errlog.

Check also that things like anti-virus and real-time duplication of files to another server are off for the tests as well.

Andy

Friday, February 5, 2016 4:18 PM