Word 2010 is having changing OpenType font to Arial simply by changing size RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have an issue when I use Word 2010 with an OpenType Font.  Word changes the font from OpenType to Arial simply when I change the size of the text .i.e form 10 to 11 points . This behavior is sporadic. It even changes the font of non selected text, which makes it difficult to notice in larger text with several of pages. 

When word changes the text to Arial, it will print it that way as well. I have made a small video demonstrating the behavior. Did anyone came across the same issue, and did find a solution already?

Thanks

Gerald

Gf
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 7:58 AM

All replies

• Unexpected font changes usually occur if you haven’t modified the font properly. Create one or more styles and use them whenever you want to apply formatting. Actually, simply changing document defaults to your preferred style may be helpful. Here’s how to do that: With the problem document open, press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S to display the Styles pane. Click the Manage Styles button. On the Set Defaults tab, make the desired changes. If you want to transfer the settings to the template attached to the current document, select “New documents based on this template” before clicking OK.

Since formatting changes in more than one place at a time, also take a look at http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/WholeDocumentReformatted.htm.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 3:34 PM
  • Hi Stefan,

thanks for the reply. I tried your suggestion and set the open type font in the default style. But it did not made a change. I still have the issue, that the font changes from the selected OpenType font to Arial when I change the size. 

Regards

Gerald

Gf
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 4:36 PM
  • The best thing would be to incorporate all formatting in a style and/or in document defaults.

However, it is possible that there is something about that particular OpenType font that Word can’t handle. (Problems with Word and certain OpenType fonts have been reported earlier; I don’t know if these were ever fixed.) Have you tried another font?

Saturday, January 21, 2012 6:48 PM
  • Hi Stafan,

I tried it with an other OpenType font and I do get the same problem. I even noticed, that Word 2010 changes the font to Arial when I just select some text. 

I have no clue how to handle this issue.

regards

Gerald

Gf
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 9:24 PM
  • Sorry, I’ve never seen anything like that. Are you saying that using a TrueType font (instead of OpenType) works correctly?

Sunday, January 22, 2012 12:59 AM
  • Are you by any chance working within a table?  When you changed the defaults, did you make sure that the default settings match the normal paragraph style settings?   

BTW, note that Arial is also an OPenType font. 

Pam

Sunday, January 22, 2012 1:02 AM
  • "PamCaswell" wrote in message news:79a3512c-c151-4535-911a-10bb630eab45@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Are you by any chance working within a table?  When you changed the defaults, did you make sure that the default settings match the normal paragraph style settings?  

BTW, note that Arial is also an OPenType font.

Good thinking. Looking at the video clip, it looks more like text boxes (or at least one text box) and possibly a content control (or some other field).

Sunday, January 22, 2012 1:07 AM
  • Yep, I saw that but thought some of it might be in a table.

Gerald, what happens if you select the text that changes and press CTRL+spacebar (to clear direct formatting)?  Does the font changes to Arial?

Pam

Sunday, January 22, 2012 3:02 AM
  • Hi,

the problem is not linked to a table or a field, though in the first video I did demonstrate it on a date field. I have made a second video which demonstrate it on plain text. in this video the font changes already, when I select some text. 

Gerald

Gf
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 6:39 PM
  • Hi Pam,

I pressed, CTRL- Space to clear the formating, but when I then change the size, it happens again. 

thanks

Gerald

Gf
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 6:41 PM