none
Fast indexing page content surrounded by index class tags RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

currently we are making Fast to index our corporate site, but we are experiencing problems with indexing content:

some content in our masterpage, like the main and side navigation, is marked as noindex: <div class="classname noindex"></div> but for some reason, all of this content is indexed anyway. Did someone experience the same problem and have a solution for this?

Is it a problem to have an additional classname within the classes attribute? Or do I need to insert the tag "<noindex></noindex> ??

regards.

Bas

Thursday, May 5, 2011 12:57 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I found out what the problem was: someone resetted the index at SharePoint side, but didnt reset the content collection at the Fast server, result: the index was out of sync. This caused the following problems:

• 'old' content was available 
    • it looked like that our content with classes "noindex" was indexed. But this was the old content. There even existed items several times in the index. But case closed :D
    • Marked as answer by Bas Lijten Tuesday, May 10, 2011 5:24 PM
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 5:23 PM

All replies

• Yes, we use this tag not to index our menu.

Make sure that you use exactly this one "<div class =”noindex”> ... </div>

Also the problem can be related with master page. In our situation, we have more than one masterpage, so it can be the reason. May be the page is under different master page.

After appliying noindex tag, control if you can see noindex tag when viewing the html of the page.(Right click - view source)

Thursday, May 5, 2011 2:07 PM
  • I have successfully managed to use "noindex" together with other class tags in FS4SP. I know it was an issue in FAST ESP, but seems to have been fixed in FS4SP. But there could be issues with this, and if you can isolate it in it's own div tag that might be a more foolproof way.

Also, are you sure all tags are properly nested?

Regards,
    Mikael Svenson 

Search Enthusiast - MCTS SharePoint/WCF4/ASP.Net4
    http://techmikael.blogspot.com/ - http://www.comperiosearch.com/
    Saturday, May 7, 2011 7:53 PM
  • Hi,

I am sure that all <div> tags are properly nested. The stupid thing is: I can't reproduce it on my laptop with the same dataset/masterpages. Going to install all SP's and CU's for sql, sharepoint and fast. Maybe something strange happened there?!

the noindex tag is visible btw. "It works on my machine", but not on our DTAP environment. Going to investigate this further

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 6:55 AM
  • Hi,

I found out what the problem was: someone resetted the index at SharePoint side, but didnt reset the content collection at the Fast server, result: the index was out of sync. This caused the following problems:

• 'old' content was available 
    • it looked like that our content with classes "noindex" was indexed. But this was the old content. There even existed items several times in the index. But case closed :D
    • Marked as answer by Bas Lijten Tuesday, May 10, 2011 5:24 PM
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 5:23 PM