none
VBA doesn't work with Project Online? RRS feed

• Question

• I was listening to an implementation partner on a webinar that said VBA doesn't work with Project Server Online (Cloud).  Is this true?  Is there any programming replacement/equivalent?  I started using VBA to get around the limitations of Project.  The partner talked about 3rd party software and "customizations" that they can make - but it seems like a big step backwards to me.

Any hope?

Thanks
    Art

Monday, June 15, 2015 12:19 PM

Answers

• No, it's not true.  VBA is part of the client, and runs on the client.  Typically you would do this to manipulate fields, colours and all sorts of things!  When you save/publish the plan, these fields are saved to Project Online.

Now, what you *cannot* do is use VBA with the web scheduling engine, perhpas this what was being eluded to.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Monday, June 15, 2015 1:14 PM

All replies

• No, it's not true.  VBA is part of the client, and runs on the client.  Typically you would do this to manipulate fields, colours and all sorts of things!  When you save/publish the plan, these fields are saved to Project Online.

Now, what you *cannot* do is use VBA with the web scheduling engine, perhpas this what was being eluded to.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Monday, June 15, 2015 1:14 PM
  • Thanks Ben - that's great news.

I have some macros that update summary plans from other plans.  Currently they are stored on a network drive so it is easy to get/specify the path.  I know other people use similar macros with project server so I'm hoping online doesn't create any issues with opening/updating plans from macros.

Regards,
    Art

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 2:50 PM