Domain Trust RRS feed

• Question

• I am a Shared Computer Toolkit user.  According to the Shared Computer Toolkit docs, it is suposed to renew the computer domain password evertime updates are applies.  This does not work.  Computer continually fall off the domain. (break their trust)

I am looking at using Steady State, I read the docs, but it only has a blurb on what happens if the computer password is not renewed, not how Steady State ties into keeping it from breaking the trust even though we do updates daily.

Has there been an improvement in this area?  Does Steady State prevent computers from falling off the domain?
    Sunday, December 2, 2007 4:22 AM

Answers

• Hi Scott,

As I know, this design in SteadyState is the same as SCT. As I haven’t experienced this kind of issue before, I would like to confirm your update method and frequency. Based on the design of this product, I recommend updating through Schedule Software Update, and update weekly.

By the way, if your organization requires regularly changes, instead of following a fixed schedule you set within Windows Disk Protection, you might want to consider whether Windows Disk Protection is right for your environment. Based on my experience, some other management tools such as group policy and Microsoft Systems Management Server (SMS) can manage clients better than SteadyState.

I also found a related article about this kind of issue for your reference:

Resetting computer accounts in Windows 2000 and Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=216393

Best Regards,

Monday, December 3, 2007 11:36 AM

All replies

• I am in the exact same situation as you.
    My computers fall off the domain each time I deactivate Shared Access
    I am also looking at Steady State, seems it is only possible to use it on a domain with roaming profiles for domain users.
    I'd rather not use roaming profiles and simply use local profile "default user"
    So I have the same question : Does Steady State prevent computers from falling off the domain ? and more, can I use Domain users without roaming profiles with Steady State ?
    Monday, December 3, 2007 10:33 AM
  • Hi Scott,

As I know, this design in SteadyState is the same as SCT. As I haven’t experienced this kind of issue before, I would like to confirm your update method and frequency. Based on the design of this product, I recommend updating through Schedule Software Update, and update weekly.

By the way, if your organization requires regularly changes, instead of following a fixed schedule you set within Windows Disk Protection, you might want to consider whether Windows Disk Protection is right for your environment. Based on my experience, some other management tools such as group policy and Microsoft Systems Management Server (SMS) can manage clients better than SteadyState.

I also found a related article about this kind of issue for your reference:

Resetting computer accounts in Windows 2000 and Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=216393

Best Regards,

Monday, December 3, 2007 11:36 AM