none
MS Project 2010 Start dates change automatically RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I hope someone can help with this project problem, its driving me insane!

I have a set of activities which have a start date of 01/09/2014, there are no predecessors to these tasks but there are successors, and a date constraint date (the project start date is 16/06/2014, and these tasks cannot start until 01/09/2014).

When I mark the tasks as 100% complete the dates do not change (as expected), however once I have saved the file and closed it, something weird happens. When I reopen the file the start date (not baseline start) of these tasks has changed to the project start date (16/06/2014). The % complete is still reading 100% complete and the task finish date has remained the same.

These tasks are milestones and have no duration.

Another aspect that I have discovered is when I take out the % complete (and it returns to 0%), the start dates change back to 01/09/2014.

Can anyone tell me if I have a setting somewhere which I need to change as its driving me insane, the more tasks that are marked as 100% complete, the more tasks I have that change to the project start date, so the problem is getting worse as the days go on!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 11:03 AM

All replies

• Hi jdk1988,

Are the tasks manually scheduled or autoscheduled.  You note you are using Project 2010 - is Service Pack 2 installed?

If you display the Tracking Table is the Actual Start date correct - Sept 1?

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 2:52 PM
  • Hi Julie,

The tasks are autoscheduled. And the dates are not correct when I display the tracking table.

How do I find if Service Pack 2 is installed?

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 3:06 PM
  • To see if SP-2 is installed:

File > Help.  On the right side, click the Additional Version and Copyright Information link.

The About Project window should display SP-2.

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 6:17 PM
  • Do you have the Project Status date set correctly, and is it set for the correct date? If its set back in June and under File, Options, Advanced the Move flags are selected you would get the behaviour you mention.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 12:19 AM
  • Hi Julie,

Thank you for the directions! SP2 is not installed, only SP1 at the moment. I will have to go through my company's IT service desk and ask them to install all the latest Service Packs!

Rod - Thank you for replying as well. I can confirm that the project status date is set correctly and under advance options, the 'Move Flags' are not selected.

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 8:01 AM
  • Does this happen with any of your other files? If not, then the only suspects I have are VBA code or a file corruption.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 8:46 AM