none
DirectAccess/SSTP SMB access non-consistent RRS feed

• Question

• if the title sounds like a headache, believe me it is.. 

So about 2 months ago I stated looking into deploying a DA Server to replace our existing SonicWall VPN solution. DA itself works great for what we need, I understand Microsoft no longer want to develop it, but it works for us. 

It's deployed on Server 2019 and we're only utilizing IP-HTTPS. 

We sit inside of another organization and they won't allow us to deploy our own WAPs on our Network, so DirectAccess is being used to get around that by establishing an IPv6 tunnel when we connect to their corporate Wifi. 

The problem we're having is for some reason, when opening documents with multiple pages it can take quite some time to open. 

Example, opening a 4.6MB 97 page PDF can take over a minute to open on DirectAccess, even though a Lan Speed test shows an upload of 20mbps and download of 12mbps to that same SMB share

We initially thought this was an issue with DirectAccess, so I enabled SSTP VPN and confirmed the same slowness occurs. 

I then discovered that if I connect to DirectAccess from an external connection, say from home or through my mobile, the issue disappears. 

I contacted the IT Support for the WLAN network we connect to and sent them my packet captures from their network, and my home network, opening the same file from the same SMB share. 

When opening from home: 20 seconds (LAN speed test @ 12mbps up 6mbps down)
    When opening through work WLAN: 1 minute and 15 seconds (LAN speed test @ 20bmps up 12mbps down)

They checked everything on their and and couldn't find any rules set to throttle/analyze our packets, and can see the data goes through at the same rate, there's just some weird 30-40 second delay before the data is xfered to the client. 

My question, is there any client settings on a WLAN network profile that would cause this slowness when opening large documents from an SMB share? 

Thursday, October 10, 2019 3:32 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

>>My question, is there any client settings on a WLAN network profile that would cause this slowness when opening large documents from an SMB share? 

Generally, we need to analyze the network packet to find out the clues. But based on your description, the IT support couldn't find any rules can throttle the packets. 

If this issues is a state of emergency for you , we suggest you open a case with Microsoft, more in-depth investigation can be done so that you would get a more satisfying explanation and solution to this issue.

Here is the link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4051701/global-customer-service-phone-numbers

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Friday, October 11, 2019 8:16 AM