Video drivers don't survive reboot RRS feed

• Question

• I've just installed Vista on a tablet with Intel 82855 video. The WDDM drivers didn't support mirroring, which I need for classroom presentation. So I installed the Intel XP drivers, and mirroring worked, but every time I unplugged the external display, the drivers reverted back to the Vista version, and needed to be re-installed.

Then I uninstalled the WDDM drivers, and installed the Intel XP drivers. They let me switch video modes, and use mirroring, and basically work great... until I reboot.

Now every time I reboot, video reverts back to vgasave, and I have to re-install the Intel drivers. And because once vgasave is loaded, it stays loaded, my tablet's sleep is disabled ("powercfg -h on" tells me that legacy drivers don't allow sleep). The very first time I loaded the XP drivers after removing the WDDM ones, I had everything working (both mirroring AND sleep) so I know it's possible, but I lost it all on a reboot.

How do I make my installed video driver stick around after I reboot? I've tried F8-disable signed driver enforcement, no luck, I still get vgasave. And since I don't always have a keyboard on reboot (the tablet's a slate) it'd be pretty awkward anyway.

Thanks...
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 6:43 PM