none
Adding a project as a subproject causes all tasks in subproject to get new GUID RRS feed

• Question

• Using Microsoft Project 2013:

When I add an existing project as a subproject to another project, all the GUIDs in the subproject get recalculated!

Opening the original subproject file (say F1) separately continues to show the old GUID, but the new project (which has file F1 as a subproject) shows new GUIDs for the subproject. I have tried both "linking" and "not linking" when adding F1 as a subproject.

Is there a way of preventing the recalculation of these GUIDs?

I originally posted this question on Stack Overflow.

A user responded by saying that in Project 2010, these GUIDs are not recomputed, so this must be an error with Project 2013.

Help would be appreciated!

Friday, January 18, 2013 10:55 AM

All replies

• What GUIDs are you referring to and what are you using them for?

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky

Saturday, January 19, 2013 2:39 AM
  • I am referring to the GUID column that is part of each task in MS Project.

To view this column, shift to Task view. If you do not see the GUID column, add a new column and select GUID. The value of this column is persisted between sessions. So if you close and reopen MS Project, you will see that the value in this column does not change.

Saturday, January 19, 2013 12:35 PM
  • I'm not able to replicate this behavior in Project 2013.  I created a project, copied the GUID field to Text1, and then added it as a subproject to another project.  Using Text1 as a comparison, it doesn't appear that the GUIDs have changed.

The other option would be to use a little VBA to copy the GUIDs to a text field.  That definitely won't change.

Saturday, January 19, 2013 6:44 PM
  • Just to confirm:

Did you compare the Text1 column to the GUID column? Because obviously, the Text1 field will not be recomputed.

These are the steps I follow:

1) Create a new mpp file - P1.mpp

2) Add at least one task to it.

3) In the column list, add the GUID column. Make note of this GUID column (perhaps copy-paste it to Notepad).

4) Create a new mpp file - P2.mpp

5) Add P1.mpp as a linked subproject to P2.mpp

6) In the column list, add the GUID column, if its not already present. Compare the GUID in the subproject (P1.mpp) and compare it to the GUID you noted down in Step 3.

Are they the same?

Thanks,

Sunday, January 20, 2013 12:42 AM
  • Correct, I used Text1 to confirm that it hadn't changed.

When doing that test, I didn't see any change to the GUID.  May I ask what you're using the GUIDs for?

Sunday, January 20, 2013 1:49 AM
  • I am importing the Tasks to a custom database and using the GUIDs of the tasks to maintain an association between the tasks in MS Project and the records in my database.
    Tuesday, January 22, 2013 8:51 AM