Unable to delivery the EMAIL without size limit on IIS SMTP RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

We have the below servers:

1 X MAILBOX server, 1 X HTCAS Server, 1 X IIS SMTP server

Now, we have set the transport config  (Global settings) and internet send connectorto 10MB. Also, we use the transport config to apply the email size limit to all users. We don't set any limit on IIS SMTP server. From the exchange 2007, we set the smart host to this IIS SMTP server. After that, we have tried to attach 9MB files (the dll file for testing).

Internal Mailbox: Able to receive the email because HT didn't pass the email to IIS SMTP server

Internel Mailbox: Not able to send the email to internet and NO NDR retrun to the user mailbox.

Note: we can send internet email through the IIS SMTP server

After investigate the issue, we found that all the NDR has been generated on IIS SMTP server but not sending to the user mailbox. As you remeber that we have set no limit to the IIS SMTP server. Later on, we have done the below test again.

Set 10M or less than 10M email size to IIS SMTP server, after that, there have NDR return.

My question is, why the email cannot pass through without size limit on IIS SMTP server? Why it will generate the NDR? Why it will retrurn the NDR if we set <= 10MB email limit on IIS SMTP? I know that there email will have content conversion so the size will be enlarge when sending to the internet mail but the email is able to pass through to the IIS SMTP (HT server has not denied the email because my transport config has set to 10MB).

Thanks,

OCS USERS 

Saturday, May 28, 2011 4:02 PM

All replies

• Could you send a test email of size 7MB and make sure that the size in Transport Config/Receive/Send connector is set as 10 MB & no limits on IIS SMTP server then test email out to internet & let us know the result please.

Regards, Pushkal MishrA
    Sunday, May 29, 2011 8:03 AM
  • Any update?
    Gulab | MCITP: Exchange 2010 | MCITP: Exchange 2007 | Skype: Gulab.Mallah | Blog: www.ExchangeRanger.blogspot.com
    Sunday, May 29, 2011 2:07 PM
  • Could you send a test email of size 7MB and make sure that the size in Transport Config/Receive/Send connector is set as 10 MB & no limits on IIS SMTP server then test email out to internet & let us know the result please.

Regards, Pushkal MishrA

Hi Pushjak,

the size of transport config/receive/send connector has set to 10MB already...We have tested the below case.

1. send 7MB system.dll with 10MB on all connector with no limit from IIS SMTP: Failed with NDR generated on IIS SMTP and no return to exchange server, it means that the user cannot receive the NDR.

2. send 7MB system.dll with 10MB on all connector with 10MB or less limit from IIS SMTP: Failed and It will have NDR to our user mailbox with commects rejected from IIS SMTP server (This email is 7MB with system.dll file and the files will have content conversion so the whole email will be increased 33% but the emails will not pass through to IIS SMTP)

3. send 7MB dummy.txt with 10MB on all connector with/without 10MB or less limit from IIS SMTP: Passed because of the txt files will not have much content conversion and the total email size is less than 10MB so it will pass to IIS SMTP)

I think the IIS SMTP is reading at exchange transport config so it will not let the email pass through..Also, I have tried to reconfig the internet connector to 20MB but no luck...

P.S. We are using Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 IIS SMTP server for the smart host...

Please help...

Sunday, May 29, 2011 2:45 PM
  • Hi,

I think it caused by global message size limits.

When the global message size limits and the corresponding organization message size limits conflict, the lowest value takes precedence.

What you set  in the transport config  is organization message size limits.

The global message size limits are stored in the Active Directory directory service. You can modify the global message size limits follow this article.

How to Modify Exchange 2003 Global Message Size Limits in Exchange 2007 RTM

Why you got the NDR.

Because SMTP IIS server reject the message, Exchange 2007 Hub transport server generate the NDR, so the sender can receive the NDR.

I mean the sender can only recevie the NDR  gererated by Hub transport server.

When SMTP IIS server failed to send e-mail out due to global message size limits, SMTP server will generate NDR, but it won’t send to Hub transport server.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, May 30, 2011 7:58 AM
  • Hi,

I think it caused by global message size limits.

When the global message size limits and the corresponding organization message size limits conflict, the lowest value takes precedence.

What you set  in the transport config  is organization message size limits.

The global message size limits are stored in the Active Directory directory service. You can modify the global message size limits follow this article.

How to Modify Exchange 2003 Global Message Size Limits in Exchange 2007 RTM

Why you got the NDR.

Because SMTP IIS server reject the message, Exchange 2007 Hub transport server generate the NDR, so the sender can receive the NDR.

I mean the sender can only recevie the NDR  gererated by Hub transport server.

When SMTP IIS server failed to send e-mail out due to global message size limits, SMTP server will generate NDR, but it won’t send to Hub transport server.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Hi Jerome,

Thanks for your information. Please read the below messages quoated from technet which you provide to me. We are using the seperate IIS SMTP server which has no exchange installed.

"In a pure Exchange 2007 environment or in a mixed Exchange 2003 and Exchange 2007 environment, the global message size limits are used by the store driver"

The IIS SMTP server will not read the global settings from the active directory. Also, we have set the limit size to 30MB on IIS SMTP server but it will have NDR generated to the bad mail folder. Also, I can see that the global message site limits are control and affected on Exchange server only, not the sepeerate IIS SMTP server.

Thanks,

OCSUser

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 8:12 AM