Reduce lookup value selection RRS feed

• Question

• I have two SharePoint lists: Companies and Contacs. I have a Lookup column named "Company" in the Contact list. I have removed the permissioninheritance in the company list and set for my selected only for two item the permissions on item level. What i want to achieve is to reduce the selection in the lookup column to the items where the user has permissions. But this does not work. Isnt this possible or how could i do this?
    Wednesday, September 7, 2016 7:07 PM

Answers

• Hi BOG- it doesn't work that way, although your thinking is logical. The lookup will show all the values in the column regardless.

What you should do is create another column, say "Active/Inactive" or whatever value you want to use. Then create a calculated column that returns only the values you want from your new column, then use that for your lookup instead. See the following link for details:

http://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/18247/how-to-make-a-filtered-lookup-field

However, if you want this to be dynamic based on the user, I don't believe that's possible out of the box. You could accomplish that using InfoPath or another forms solution.

cameron rautmann

• Marked as answer by BOG's Lab Thursday, September 8, 2016 5:27 AM
    Wednesday, September 7, 2016 7:35 PM

All replies

• Hi BOG- it doesn't work that way, although your thinking is logical. The lookup will show all the values in the column regardless.

What you should do is create another column, say "Active/Inactive" or whatever value you want to use. Then create a calculated column that returns only the values you want from your new column, then use that for your lookup instead. See the following link for details:

http://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/18247/how-to-make-a-filtered-lookup-field

However, if you want this to be dynamic based on the user, I don't believe that's possible out of the box. You could accomplish that using InfoPath or another forms solution.

cameron rautmann

• Marked as answer by BOG's Lab Thursday, September 8, 2016 5:27 AM
    Wednesday, September 7, 2016 7:35 PM
  • Hi croute,

thank you for your reply. I need it dynamic based on the permissions. In this case i think it woul make sense to built a single page application with JSOM and retrieve the values for the DropDown through the REST API. Then i think i would only get returned the values for with i have the permission cause the call to the REST API will be done by the users account itself.

thank you!

Thursday, September 8, 2016 5:27 AM