Help: Trying to move Outlook locally saved emails from one Mac to another RRS feed

• Question

• Upgraded an employee to a new MacBook and did a fresh build (opted not to do a Data Migration).

Our offices use MS Office for emailing services, and the IT Supervisor and I want to know how to move the file containing just the locally saved emails ('On My Computer' in Outlook) from the old iMac (21.5" 2017 running OS Sierra 10.12.6) to the new MacBook (Pro 13" late 2017, running OS High Sierra 10.13.3).

Both machines have Outlook 2016 (v. 16.10) installed.

What is the best way to go about this?

• Edited by bwinzek_paradigm Wednesday, March 7, 2018 6:58 PM Title goof
    • Moved by Steve Fan Thursday, March 8, 2018 5:27 AM move to dedicated Outlook forum
    Wednesday, March 7, 2018 6:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know, the best option is to export the email Items as .olm file under File > Export. Items in the "On My Computer" folder will also be exported. There is no option to export the "On My Computer" folder only in the export wizard. I suggest you duplicate the Identity, then open the Identity and delete the emails accounts you set up in Outlook so you only export your "On My Computer" folders.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Friday, March 16, 2018 9:43 AM
    Thursday, March 8, 2018 7:00 AM
  • Hi,

As far as I know, the best option is to export the email Items as .olm file under File > Export. Items in the "On My Computer" folder will also be exported. There is no option to export the "On My Computer" folder only in the export wizard. I suggest you duplicate the Identity, then open the Identity and delete the emails accounts you set up in Outlook so you only export your "On My Computer" folders.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thank you Steve. I too was wondering the same thing...

Question though and just to make sure everyone is on the same page:

When you run an export, does it make a copy export or does it perform a remove export, thereby taking mail off completely from the Exchange account and the "On My Computer" component (which is what I would like to avoid (remove export))?

Finally, when you restore, are you suggesting we create a new temporary Outlook profile, restore, and then remove the exchange accounts and leave the "On My Computer" directories and then switch back the profile to the "Main Identity" since that would be a globally available (across all identities/profiles) mail?

Just want to make sure I am clear as to how it all works on a technical level.

Please let us know and thank you!

• Edited by Kamika007z Thursday, March 8, 2018 3:34 PM
    Thursday, March 8, 2018 3:18 PM
  • Thank you for the update.

To answer you questions:

Re Q1: When run an export, it just make a copy of the items. original items won't be deleted.

Re Q2: Creating a new profile is to separate the "On My Computer" directories from the whole identity. You can then export the separated "On My Computer" directories again so that you can then import only the "On My Computer" directories to your new MacBook.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Friday, March 16, 2018 9:43 AM
    Tuesday, March 13, 2018 9:55 AM
  • Just wanted to say hi and check if there is anything that I can do for you on this problem. If so, please do not hesitate to let me know and I will be happy to help.

Best Regards,

Steve Fan

Friday, March 16, 2018 9:44 AM