Cascading Dropdowns In SPD 2007 Using SQL Server 2005 Tables RRS feed

• Question

• I've seen variations of this on other questions, but nothing that seemed to exactly address my situation.

I am fairly new to SharePoint Designer, but I have done lots of development work in all sorts of other languages and platforms.  SP is driving me crazy because I feel like I have to jump through all sorts of hoops to do what is a relatively straightforward task in other environments.  Hopefully, someone here can steer me in the right direction...  Here's what I am working with and what I am trying to do:

I have a Custom List in SP 2007.  For the sake of example, we'll say this is a list of job applicants.  I am using a customized New and Edit form that will be created/managed via SharePoint Designer 2007.  Among the fields that a person entering an application will need to enter are Job Type, Job Title, and Work Location.  In order to avoid the reporting and management ____ that comes with free form entry of fields where there are specific values available, I want to use dropdown lists, and I want to populate these lists with values in a SQL Server 2005 database, and have the fields heirarchically related to each other.  Thus, if someone selected 'Clerical' in the Job Type dropdown, the Job Title would then be populated with the titles of all open Clerical jobs.  Likewise if 'Warehouse' or 'Management' were selected.  Then, from the Job Title dropdown list, if someone selected 'Secretary' from the dropdown list that was populated when 'Clerical' was selected for the Job Type, the Work Location dropdown list would be populated with a list of work locations where there are open secretarial positions (city, state).  Another compounding factor -- I am not able to make any modifications in the structure of the SQL Server database, because it a vendor supported product, so I don't have the luxury of creating any views or stored procs or anything else that would make my life easier.  Any parameter setting I do will have to be strictly at the SPD form level.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction on this one?

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 5:03 PM

Answers