none
Data Protection manager recovery RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Team

1. I have SCDPM 2012r2 in my organization 

and i have protected exchange mailbox.,and when iam trying to recover a single mailbox it is recovering the entire mailbox

Is It possible to recover a single mailbox in DPM? (please answer with recovery steps) and how to restore the recovery in exchange 2013 ?

2. one more query is for the same DPM server which is being stored on disks I have attached 4 storage disks each having 2 TB capacity

if in case i wanted to replace 4 storage disks with single 8 TB storage what should i do? will that impact my protection group and back up that i have scheduled ?

Thanks in advance 

BalaY

• Edited by BalaY Tuesday, September 15, 2015 10:31 AM
    Tuesday, September 15, 2015 10:24 AM

Answers

• You should create a recovery database and recover your database to the recovery database. The other thing you can do is create the recovery database but not mount it and then move the already reovered database and log files to the location of the newly created revovery database, adjust the filenames of the revovered files to the ones you used in creating the recovery database and mount this.

If your recovery databse is called RDB you can check with

Get-MailboxStatistics -Database RDB | ?{$_.DisplayName -like 'Username*'} | fl

if the user with username Username is really present in datbase RDB

I usually create an empty mailbox called Recovery for the recovery of the mailbox itself:

New-MailboxRestoreRequest -SourceDatabase RDB -SourceStoreMailbox  'Username' -TargetMailbox 'Recovery' -TargetRootFolder Recovery -AllowLegacyDNMismatch

This will take a while. You can monitor progress with

Get-MailboxRestoreRequest | Get-MailboxRestoreRequestStatistics | fl

Recovered data will be in the folder called Recovery. Copy/move the data you need, delete the user recovery, dismount RDB, delete RDB and cleanup the files used by RDB and you are done.

• Edited by Marcus Krämer Thursday, September 17, 2015 2:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by BalaY Thursday, October 1, 2015 6:38 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by BalaY Thursday, October 1, 2015 6:38 PM
    Thursday, September 17, 2015 2:07 PM

All replies

• Question 1: No, you cannot restore a single mailbox. You have to restore the DB to a recovery DB and then you can do a mailbox restore request with Exchange PS

Question 2: You have to migrate each source disk to the same target disk. You have to wait most likely for as long as you keep your recovery points on disk (for them to expire from the old disks) till you can start a new migration. But DPM will tell you that. You can try migrating the next disk but it will throw an error if you cannot yet migrate another disk again. The impact will be a lot of IO and each data source will be marked as being inconsistent and a CC job will have to run on each data source (meaning more IO)

• Edited by Marcus Krämer Tuesday, September 15, 2015 1:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by BalaY Wednesday, September 16, 2015 5:24 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by BalaY Thursday, September 17, 2015 11:32 AM
    Tuesday, September 15, 2015 1:12 PM
  • Hi Balay,

Here is some additional information regarding your questions:

1. Rui Silva has written a great guide on how to recover a single mailbox in DPM 2012. DPM will always restore the entire mailbox database even if you choose to restore a single mailbox: Continuous Backup for Exchange Server 2013 with DPM 2012 (Part 5)

2. In case you are planning to migrate your protected data to a another storage then you can use the Migratedatasourcedatafromdpm.ps1-script to move you data to the new storage and then remove your old storage: How to Use The Migratedatasourcedatafromdpm.Ps1 DPM Powershell Script to Move Data

Kind Regards
    Markus Eliasson

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 1:38 PM
  • Thank you Marcus 

It helped me a lot.

BalaY

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 5:24 AM
  • Thank you Markus.

BalaY

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 5:25 AM
  • Hi Marcus,

I have recovered Exchange Mailbox to network location and it recovered entire database (.edb along with log files)

now the requirement is i need to restore one mailbox to the existing database in production server

What should i do.please help me out?

Thanks in advance

BalaY

Thursday, September 17, 2015 11:32 AM
  • Hi BalaY,

Have you followed the guide in my first post? (Continuous Backup for Exchange Server 2013 with DPM 2012 (Part 5). If you have the guide tells you actions to perform to restore a single mailbox.

If you only have restored the mailbox database to a network share, take a look at the following guide on how to create a recovery database(RDB), mount your restored database to the RDB and export the information you need: Restoring a Mailbox from an Exchange Server 2013 Recovery Database

Please remeber to mark the replies as answers if it helps you!

Kind Regards
    Markus Eliasson

Thursday, September 17, 2015 12:26 PM
  • You should create a recovery database and recover your database to the recovery database. The other thing you can do is create the recovery database but not mount it and then move the already reovered database and log files to the location of the newly created revovery database, adjust the filenames of the revovered files to the ones you used in creating the recovery database and mount this.

If your recovery databse is called RDB you can check with

Get-MailboxStatistics -Database RDB | ?{$_.DisplayName -like 'Username*'} | fl

if the user with username Username is really present in datbase RDB

I usually create an empty mailbox called Recovery for the recovery of the mailbox itself:

New-MailboxRestoreRequest -SourceDatabase RDB -SourceStoreMailbox  'Username' -TargetMailbox 'Recovery' -TargetRootFolder Recovery -AllowLegacyDNMismatch

This will take a while. You can monitor progress with

Get-MailboxRestoreRequest | Get-MailboxRestoreRequestStatistics | fl

Recovered data will be in the folder called Recovery. Copy/move the data you need, delete the user recovery, dismount RDB, delete RDB and cleanup the files used by RDB and you are done.

• Edited by Marcus Krämer Thursday, September 17, 2015 2:08 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by BalaY Thursday, October 1, 2015 6:38 PM
    Thursday, September 17, 2015 2:07 PM