none
IE8 Slow for users using protected mode? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am in the process of upgrading our users from Windows XP, IE8 to Windows 7 w/IE8 and we've noticed performance issues with IE8 on the Windows 7 systems.  It appears like the culprit is Protected Mode.  By default it is turned on for IE8 on Windows 7 systems but not on Windows XP systems so we never saw this issue with XP.

I have been able to mitigate the issue with web sites of business partners by adding them to the Trusted Sites list.  But this isn't practical for every site we go to and I really don't want to just turn Protected Mode off for all sites.  Is there another way to address this issue?

What happens is it will take many minutes, 5 or more, to load a web page with Protected Mode turned on.  Turn off Protected Mode and the pages load in seconds. 

Is this a known issue with Protected Mode or is there something else I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance,

Linn

Monday, January 21, 2013 5:40 PM

Answers

• Hi,

We are using Symantec End Point Protection version 12.1.1101.401 for antivirus.  I do not allow tool bars to load because of the issues they usually add to the systems.

I do not have a policy for managing addons or the UserAgent String and the action center doesn't show any actions that need to be taken.

I ran IE with addons disabled and that seems to have corrected the issue.  So I went through all the addons, disabling them one at a time and found the culprit is the Shockwave Flash Object addon.  I'll swing by the Adobe forums and see if anyone can help me there.

Oh, good news... I think.  Adobe has a beta version 11.6, which seems to correct the problem.  I'm a little nervous of installing a beta app on my production computers though.

Thanks Rob!

• Marked as answer by lkubler Thursday, January 31, 2013 4:21 PM
    Thursday, January 31, 2013 4:17 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What AV product(s) have you installed?

Some have toolbar and BHO addons that slow the performance of web browsers. Many IE Addons that worked well in IE8 on XP, do not work well with Win7/IE8.... Review your GPO addons white lists....On Win7 select Start>Control Panel>Action Center on a migrated machine... it will list what actions you need to take to replace incompatible addons.

Test by running IE8 in noAddons mode....

then

Start>Run>msconfig>Startup tab, and disable any non-MS services in the windows startup list (requires a reboot to take effect)... some addons load up satellite services in the windows startup sequence, even though you may have disabled them....

To make your migration project less painful, you may like to include the GPO or IE setting switch to uncheck "Enable third-party browser extensions" (found on the Advanced tab of Internet Options)....

If you are slipstreaming, you should review your GPO settings....

!important - if you are using GPO to modify the UserAgent String, (commonly companies would use this GPO setting to make IE7 or 8 look like IE6 to their servers) you must manually remove the entry from the registry (or with a .reg script in your slipstream image)... test by typing javascript:navigator.userAgent in the Ie address bar.....

<aside> IE10 RC is currently available for Win7... there should be no reason why a user or company cannot use a higher version than 8 on a client workstation</aside>

Regards.

Rob^_^

• Marked as answer by tracycaiModerator Monday, January 28, 2013 8:58 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by lkubler Thursday, January 31, 2013 3:01 PM
    Tuesday, January 22, 2013 4:20 AM
  • Hi,

We are using Symantec End Point Protection version 12.1.1101.401 for antivirus.  I do not allow tool bars to load because of the issues they usually add to the systems.

I do not have a policy for managing addons or the UserAgent String and the action center doesn't show any actions that need to be taken.

I ran IE with addons disabled and that seems to have corrected the issue.  So I went through all the addons, disabling them one at a time and found the culprit is the Shockwave Flash Object addon.  I'll swing by the Adobe forums and see if anyone can help me there.

Oh, good news... I think.  Adobe has a beta version 11.6, which seems to correct the problem.  I'm a little nervous of installing a beta app on my production computers though.

Thanks Rob!

• Marked as answer by lkubler Thursday, January 31, 2013 4:21 PM
    Thursday, January 31, 2013 4:17 PM