How to remove computers in bulk from the DPM server? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Is there a way to remove old/obsolete clients from DPM in bulk, like the same way you can add them form a TXT file?
    I currenlty have around 100 obsolete objects that need to be deleted from DPM.

I do not know powershell that well, but if there is a way I will try.

Note: I only have access to the console not the server itself.

Thanks in advance

• Edited by Leo T Wednesday, July 31, 2013 11:54 PM typo
    Wednesday, July 31, 2013 10:34 PM

Answers

• Try this:

Get-Datasource -DPMServerName SERVERNAME -inactive | Remove-DatasourceReplica –disk

This will check DPM and remove all data sources in  inactive protection. Be careful with this as it will remove all so if you have some you actually want to keep do it manually.

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.systemcenterportal.com
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

• Proposed as answer by Robert HedblomMVP Saturday, September 28, 2013 8:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by Leo T Thursday, October 3, 2013 8:40 PM
    Saturday, September 28, 2013 4:25 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Is there a way to remove old/obsolete clients from DPM in bulk, like the same way you can add them form a TXT file?
    I currenlty have around 100 obsolete objects that need to be deleted from DPM.

I do not know powershell that well, but if there is a way I will try.

Note: I only have access to the console not the server itself.

Thanks in advance

Hi,

You can select multiple agents in the DPM console and chose remove. If these are servers that are already decommissioned yo can still remove them. See this blog post: http://www.buchatech.com/tag/remove-orphaned-dpm-agents/ . You can also use this PowerShell script  Remove-ProductionServer.PS1. You can learn more about it here:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff634203.aspx

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

• Proposed as answer by BuchatechMVP Thursday, August 15, 2013 4:36 AM
    Thursday, August 15, 2013 4:36 AM
  • Hello Thanks for your reply (sorry to mine being too late)

I did that, but I get this error:

There is failure while removing production server
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM2012\bin\Remove-Productio
    nServer.ps1 : DPM was unable to remove the protected computer lchipb046td.corp.
    transunion.com, which includes active or inactive protection on this DPM server
    At line:1 char:28
    + Remove-ProductionServer.ps1 <<<<  -DPMServername servername.xxxx.com -PSName pcname.xxxx.com
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], WriteErrorExcep
       tion
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorExceptio
       n,Remove-ProductionServer.ps1

Delete any active protection for this protected computer and then retry the oper
    ation.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 8:01 PM
  • Hello Thanks for your reply (sorry to mine being too late)

I did that, but I get this error:

There is failure while removing production server
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM2012\bin\Remove-Productio
    nServer.ps1 : DPM was unable to remove the protected computer lchipb046td.corp.
    transunion.com, which includes active or inactive protection on this DPM server
    At line:1 char:28
    + Remove-ProductionServer.ps1 <<<<  -DPMServername servername.xxxx.com -PSName pcname.xxxx.com
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], WriteErrorExcep
       tion
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorExceptio
       n,Remove-ProductionServer.ps1

Delete any active protection for this protected computer and then retry the oper
    ation.

Hi,

I noticed "Delete any active protection for this protected computer" in your error. Make sure none of the computers your are trying to remove have protection be sure to check inactive protection as well.

Thursday, September 12, 2013 3:35 PM
  • Sorry, How do I do that via powershell or any scripting method?

Thanks in advance

Friday, September 27, 2013 10:58 PM
  • Try this:

Get-Datasource -DPMServerName SERVERNAME -inactive | Remove-DatasourceReplica –disk

This will check DPM and remove all data sources in  inactive protection. Be careful with this as it will remove all so if you have some you actually want to keep do it manually.

• Proposed as answer by Robert HedblomMVP Saturday, September 28, 2013 8:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by Leo T Thursday, October 3, 2013 8:40 PM
    Saturday, September 28, 2013 4:25 AM
  • Try this:

Thanks, so it seems there is no way to get around removing clients other than a manual steps :(
    Thursday, October 3, 2013 8:41 PM