none
Must I reload Office 2007 when upgrading from Vista Business to Windows Home Premium RRS feed

• Question

• I will be upgrading my Vista Business computer to Windows Home Premium very soon, having just purchased W7HP.  Will the upgrade entail a reformatted hard drive?  Will my programs, such as Office 2007 remain in tact after the upgrade.  Thanks.

MKB
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 5:53 PM

Answers

• I will be upgrading my Vista Business computer to Windows Home Premium very soon, having just purchased W7HP.  Will the upgrade entail a reformatted hard drive?  Will my programs, such as Office 2007 remain in tact after the upgrade.  Thanks.

MKB

If you believe this upgrade chart:

http://i.zdnet.com/blogs/windows_7_upgrade_chart.png

you will not be permitted an upgrade-in-place from Vista Business to Win7 Home Premium. (You would need Win7 Pro for that.) A custom install would be the only option.

It won't format the drive, but should move the old installation to windows.old. That will preserve files, but installed programs will be gone. (The files will be there, but they won't be installed in Win7.)
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 10:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If you make an upgrade you don't have to format your harddisk, but I would prefer to make a clean installation. During the setup all settings are caputred and applied after the installation of Windows 7 is done, so you shouldn't lose any settings or programs.

Greetings

Christian
    Christian Groebner MVP Forefront
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 9:46 PM

MKB

If you believe this upgrade chart:

http://i.zdnet.com/blogs/windows_7_upgrade_chart.png

you will not be permitted an upgrade-in-place from Vista Business to Win7 Home Premium. (You would need Win7 Pro for that.) A custom install would be the only option.

It won't format the drive, but should move the old installation to windows.old. That will preserve files, but installed programs will be gone. (The files will be there, but they won't be installed in Win7.)
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 10:09 PM