none
Logon Failure when connecting to another forest RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed the latest download and I am trying it for the first time.  I have installed into my test environment and I want to invetory all the server on a different subnet.  Al the servers on this other subnet belong to a different domain (in a different forest).  I have administrator accounts in both domains  and I am confident that the target domain can be resolved via DNS.  I have checked the FQDN of the domain and also the user account and retyped the password (I even logged on the other domain to check that my account was not locked out).
    Whne I enter the details I get a message saying "Logon failure while connecting to the domain, invalid username or password.  Specify a valid username and password and try again.
    What could be causing this error?
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 7:52 AM

All replies

• First I would just like to confirm that you are in fact running build 4.0.2925.0, clicking “Help” then “About” will show this…

Let me know what you find out.

Thanks,

Eric

Thursday, September 17, 2009 7:12 PM
  • Cheers Eric

Just confirming that the build id 4.0.2925.0

Bob
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 9:05 PM
  • Thanks for checking that Bob.  It should be working…

Ok next step.  :0

Would it be possible for you to send a screenshot of the page you are filling in your credentials so that we can determine if that might be a probable cause?

Send them to mapfdbk@microsoft.com.

-Eric

Friday, September 18, 2009 4:41 PM
  • Hi Eric,

My place of work is very paranoid about that sort thing, so I'll describe what I see in a network trace.
    I see a number of LDAP logon failures.  My guess is that you are presenting the credential of the user contect running the toolkit (which in my case is from a non-trusted domain/forest). Hence the lookup to check if the supplied credentials is valid, is failing.
    Your thought

Bob
    Saturday, September 19, 2009 3:41 AM
  • I wouldn’t want you do send anything confidential or anything like that…I just wanted to confirm that the MAP wizard forms were being filled in correctly.  If you want you can send a screenshot that just shows an example of how you’re doing it; “domainname.domain.com“ and “domain\user” or however your doing it…just to show us an example.

Are you stating that from your trace it appears to be using the credentials of the user running MAPS and not the user provided in the Active Directory credentials page of the MAPS Inventory wizard?

Thanks,

Eric

Monday, September 21, 2009 7:21 PM
  • Sorry for the delay in replying,

I just want to confirm that the user credentials being presented to the target AD are those of the user running MAPS and not those entered into the wizard
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 5:11 AM
  • That’s strange…that was one of the issues that was fixed with our current release and why I was asking about your build number.

Can you please send your MAPS logs to mapfdbk@microsoft.com and we will be able to go over them and see if we can discover what the issue might be?

Thanks,
    Eric

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 5:27 PM