none
Best DPM config for local backups & DR RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

I'm new to DPM (but not backups/DR) and I'm looking to deploy a backup/DR solution for a client using DPM.

They have a small environment - 2 physical servers in the primary site and 2 virtual servers in the DR site (VMware hosted solution). Hyper-V in place for virtualisation at the primary location. Looking to determine the best solution in order to provide the fastest recovery in the event of a DR situation and to cover local backups.

I'm assuming 2 x DPM servers (one at each site) with some sort of replication between them both?
    Can I do a mix of image / file based backups to meet the requirement - or is there a better way to do this?

any advice/tips would be much appreciated!

Rowan.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 8:41 PM

Answers

• Hi,

DPM is offering the possibility of Secondary Server.

In your case, you could have the following:

Server A (DPM Primary) in Primary Site protecting your physical servers. You could protect the VMs using Hyper-V protection or directly installing agents inside the VM guests to protect the data contained.
    Be aware that Hyper-V protection doesn't allow you to choose which .vhd will be saved (all will be taken during backup).

Server B (DPM Secondary) in DR Site protecting your Server A and the 2 virtual servers in the DR Site.
    Once the protection is set, synchronisation of changed block will occur at a define interval.

In case of a crash, you'll be able to restore Data replicated on Server B onto the virtual servers in the DR site.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 10:50 PM