Power Query automatically changes each column data type RRS feed

• Question

• Loading some CSV from the web, I just observed inconsistent data type selection.  I loaded a URL and it set all types to strings.  Then I started a new query and this time it correctly identified the integers. Any idea as to what might cause this inconsistency?

Saturday, November 15, 2014 11:47 PM

Answers

• Are you loading the web csv file the same way in both cases? We attempt to auto-infer the column types for certain data sources, but if you load the same data in the same way, you should get the same auto-conversions in both cases.

If you click on the Source step, however, you won't see the conversions, since they're done in a subsequent "Changed Type" step.

Ehren

Thursday, November 20, 2014 6:26 PM

All replies

• Also, is seems to take a very long time to load data. If I open the same URL in IE, it loads the CSV in one-tenth the time that it takes Power Query. 
    Saturday, November 15, 2014 11:54 PM
  • Are you loading the web csv file the same way in both cases? We attempt to auto-infer the column types for certain data sources, but if you load the same data in the same way, you should get the same auto-conversions in both cases.

If you click on the Source step, however, you won't see the conversions, since they're done in a subsequent "Changed Type" step.

Ehren

Thursday, November 20, 2014 6:26 PM
  • I'll keep an eye on it and     report more specifics if it happens again
    Tuesday, December 2, 2014 7:50 PM