none
Task list 'Existing tasks' in Timeline incomplete (MSP 2016 Prof) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    When I display a timeline and click on the ‘Existing tasks’ button on the Format tab, only the first summary task with all its subtasks is displayed, all other subsequent summary tasks and subtasks are not shown. Although I can add the other tasks by rightclicking the taskname and choosing ‘Add to timeline’. I tried to remove the timeline view from the local environment in Organizer, so it should be replaced by the global version, but that didn’t help. This phenomenom occurs in all my projects, existing and new. So I suspected a corrupt global.mpt file and tried to repair and reinstall MSP, but that didn’t help either.

I’m using MSP 2016 Professional 64-bit v. 16,0,9126,2152 on WIndows 10
    The feature has been OK for years, but I had to reinstall earlier this month because I had some instability problems.
    I had to do several uninstalls/reinstalls. First the uninstall did not work, then I had problems reinstalling. I also used the Microsoft Fix-it tool for Office 2016. Have tried repairing with online download. Finally everything is reinstalled and working fine, except this ‘Existing tasks’ feature

Monday, April 16, 2018 11:08 AM

Answers

• Rogerianus --

This is a known bug that has been reported to Microsoft, and for which a bug fix is being created.  I have no idea when the update will be released with the bug fix, however.  So, for the moment, I would recommend you avoid using the Existing Tasks button on the Format ribbon.  Instead, right-click individually on each task you want to add to the Timeline view and select the Add to Timeline item on the shortcut menu.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by Roger Heirbaut Wednesday, April 18, 2018 8:34 PM
    Monday, April 16, 2018 11:28 PM

All replies

• Rogerianus --

This is a known bug that has been reported to Microsoft, and for which a bug fix is being created.  I have no idea when the update will be released with the bug fix, however.  So, for the moment, I would recommend you avoid using the Existing Tasks button on the Format ribbon.  Instead, right-click individually on each task you want to add to the Timeline view and select the Add to Timeline item on the shortcut menu.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by Roger Heirbaut Wednesday, April 18, 2018 8:34 PM
    Monday, April 16, 2018 11:28 PM
  • Hi Dale,

Can you tell me whether this bug only occurs in the latest build? 

I am an MSP instructor and need to show this feature frequently to my students.  I have been using it without problems for years, only after the latest reinstall this issue occurs.

Tuesday, April 17, 2018 10:20 AM
  • Rogerianus --

Yes, I believe this bug was introduced in a recent update.  I am not sure what update caused it, however.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, April 17, 2018 1:11 PM