none
On premises vs. online RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I recently started a new project and want to use MS Project.

My collegue has a local version of MS Project 2016.

I want to buy the online version (Project Online professional).

Is it possible for us to work together or do I also need to buy the on-premises solution?

Thanks in advance

Vicky

Monday, September 4, 2017 9:04 AM

All replies

• Hi Vicky.

You can buy a subscription for Project Online without buying also the on premises Project Server: the project will be stored in Project Online and each user will use either the Microsoft Project client application or the web browser to access the project.
    For further information about the products included in the Project Online subscription and the related prices read here.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

Monday, September 4, 2017 10:39 AM
  • Vicky --

If only you and your colleague are going to be managing projects, you definitely DO NOT need the online version.  The online version is an enterprise project management application that goes way beyond your needs to for collaboration, reporting, and about everything else.  If each of you has a copy of the Microsoft Project desktop application, the two of you will be able to work together.  However, keep in mind that only one of you will be able to open a project Read/Write at any point.  This is how Microsoft Project differs from Excel.  And no, if you had Project Online, only one of you would be able to open a project Read/Read at any point.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, September 4, 2017 9:17 PM