Accidentally deleted root web of My Sites RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I inherited a 2007 system which had a MySites web application.  One user was having issues with their site and while trying to delete it, I accidentally deleted the root site (rookie mistake).  I hastily created a new root web but now all the styles and customized layouts have disappeared.  I am not entirely sure what the developer used to apply styles initially and am wondering if there is an easy way for me to recover the site as it was while leaving all the user My Sites in their current states.  A few things to note:

• The deleted root web is not in the recycling bin so i cannot recover it from there
    • I got a backup of the database and attached it to a new web application.  i could see the site but it did not have the styles applied.

Is there any way to recover a fully working copy of the site?

thanks in advance 

Karen

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 2:45 PM

All replies

• Just my 2 cents - 

Recovering from backup is your best bet here if you have a valid backup.

When you say, it does not have styles applied - Did you mean some of CSS files are missing?

Do you have any custom master page or its components shared across different web application?

Make sure you have all the files, external CSS references in place. If you restore from a valid backup, you should get back everything.

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 2:58 PM
  • Hi Bharath

I had a look at the sites which were restored from the backup and the same masterpage has been assigned as the one I currently have .  Would the css files have been deleted if the root web is deleted?  The web ap-plication was still avaialable as are all the other subsites, their layout just appears to be broken.

I am at a bit of a loss as I don't know what css files were being used.  is there any way to retrieve this from the  restored content db?

Karen

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 3:03 PM