Machines not in boundary group (but in boundary) showing up in console? RRS feed

• Question

• The TechNet docs (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg712679.aspx#BKMK_Boundaries) say that "To manage a client, the boundary must be a member of a boundary group." We've got three machines (previously running SCCM 2007 client), whose boundaries I've removed from SCCM 2007 and whose boundaries are in SCCM 2012 but are NOT yet added to an SCCM 2012 boundary group. However, these machines are now showing up in the console to be managed anyway! Any ideas why?

While this is not currently a problem, it is operating opposite to what we have understood to be the situation and could have unforeseen effects based on out pre-configuring SCCM 2012 with "future use" boundaries (which are not yet in boundary groups).

- John Straffin, Duke University OIT

Thursday, April 11, 2013 1:25 PM

Answers

• Yes, You can use the SMSSITECODE=SITECODE to assign the client to a site if a boundary group isn't published to AD. This is probably what the user did that installed the client so this would be normal for this to show up in the console since they were manually installed I don't see any issues with what you have said. You may also want to use the SMSMP=YOUR2012MP since you don't have a boundary group. As far as the Internet goes just because you use PKI doesn't mean a client will use a internet based MP. If it's onsite it will show as intranet.

Justin Chalfant | Blog: setupconfigmgr.com | SCUP Catalog: patchmypc.net/scup | Please mark as helpful/answer if this resolved your issue

Thursday, April 11, 2013 2:55 PM

All replies

• What do you mean by "However, these machines are now showing up in the console to be managed anyway". If they are simply showing up in the console, that's because you have a discovery method enabled for example AD system discovery or migrated the objects this has nothing to do with boundaries if this is what's happening. Boundaries/Boundary Groups are really just for Site assignment and content location. So if you look in the all systems collection is the machine acually getting assigned to a site code (I would assume no if you didn't create a boundary group).

Justin Chalfant | Blog: setupconfigmgr.com | SCUP Catalog: patchmypc.net/scup | Please mark as helpful/answer if this resolved your issue

Thursday, April 11, 2013 2:07 PM
  • We have not enabled any discovery methods except heartbeat (else we'd have MANY more machines showing up in the console) and have done no migrations. These computers have had the client installed (by another, whom I have not yet asked specifically how he did so), and that's it. Other machines that *are* in boundary groups that have had the plain (un-switched) client installed correctly pull the site code as expected. These three computers *DO* have the proper site code, but are not in any boundary group.

Is there any way that a client can be "directed" to our site (a la "SMSSITECODE=ABC") without being in a boundary group and yet show up able to be managed? We are running in full PKI mode, but these computers are all showing up with "Internet enabled: No".

Thursday, April 11, 2013 2:44 PM
  • Yes, You can use the SMSSITECODE=SITECODE to assign the client to a site if a boundary group isn't published to AD. This is probably what the user did that installed the client so this would be normal for this to show up in the console since they were manually installed I don't see any issues with what you have said. You may also want to use the SMSMP=YOUR2012MP since you don't have a boundary group. As far as the Internet goes just because you use PKI doesn't mean a client will use a internet based MP. If it's onsite it will show as intranet.

Thursday, April 11, 2013 2:55 PM
  • Thanks, Justin. Turns out the client was installed via a GP that we had made available for use. That GP did indeed define a site code. I was under the apparent mis-understanding that computers had to be in a boundary group in order to be managed (because the TechNet docs say "To manage a client, the boundary must be a member of a boundary group."). We do have a boundary group that these three machines will be a member of ... I just hadn't set it up yet.

You mention a computer being "onsite" ... what defines this? I've been assuming that the boundary groups defined the "intranet", but can find no definitive definition anywhere.

Thursday, April 11, 2013 5:31 PM
  • Managing and assigning would be two distinct activities.

You'd need assignment boundaries if you want your clients to automatically assign at installation time. A manual assignment doesn't require assignment boundaries. Assignment boundaries are registered in your AD's System Management container when you create them, Clients look there and if none exist automatic assignment stops otherwise the Client is assigned.

Rob Marshall | UK | My Blog | WMUG | File CM12 Feedback | CM12 Docs | CM12 Release Notes

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 7:10 PM