Backup quit working in Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• My Backup qwuit working in Windows 7 giving me the error message that it cannot read from the shadow file.  I tried some of the suggested solutions and came across something that may be part of the problem.  I get a Miicrosoft Security Essentials warning that it discovered a malicious file during the backup.  When I have security Essentials eliminate it, the backup stiill fails and the next time I try to run backup, the malicious file is still there.  It appears to be associated with Java.  I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium with 6G ram.   I've had no problems with the backup in the past, only this one.
    Friday, January 7, 2011 10:33 PM

Answers

• Hi,

What’s the exact error message you got? Is it “0x81000037: Windows Backup failed while trying to read from the shadow copy on one of the volumes being backed up” ?

To work around this problem, remove this reparse point from the library, and then run the backup wizard again. To back up content for this reparse point, select the absolute path of this location from the Windows Backup configuration user interface.

For the detailed information, please refer to: KB 973455

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Monday, January 17, 2011 10:02 AM
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 7:25 AM
  • Thank  you for your reply.  The problem turned out to be some malware that the quick scan of Microsoft Security Essentials didn't find.  The full scan found it and the backup worked after that.

Dan

• Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Monday, January 17, 2011 2:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Tuesday, January 18, 2011 1:10 AM
    Monday, January 17, 2011 2:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What’s the exact error message you got? Is it “0x81000037: Windows Backup failed while trying to read from the shadow copy on one of the volumes being backed up” ?

To work around this problem, remove this reparse point from the library, and then run the backup wizard again. To back up content for this reparse point, select the absolute path of this location from the Windows Backup configuration user interface.

For the detailed information, please refer to: KB 973455

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Monday, January 17, 2011 10:02 AM
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 7:25 AM
  • Thank  you for your reply.  The problem turned out to be some malware that the quick scan of Microsoft Security Essentials didn't find.  The full scan found it and the backup worked after that.

Dan

• Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Monday, January 17, 2011 2:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Tuesday, January 18, 2011 1:10 AM
    Monday, January 17, 2011 2:08 PM
  • Miya -

That's got to be one of the most unhelpful replies I've ever read.  "To work around this problem, remove this reparse point from the library...."

What exactly do you mean by 'this reparse point?'  Do YOU even know?  The Microsoft KB article that gives a 'solution' isn't much help either.  NO HELP AT ALL.  Your reply nor the Microsoft KB is NO HELP AT ALL.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 4:14 PM