none
GPMC Group Policy Results "An unknown error occurred while the HTML report was being created"

Question

• Hello.

I am trying to run a Group Policy Results against a remote computer. It sits on "Generating report..." for a while before coming up with the error "An error occurred while generating report: An unknown error occurred while the HTML report was being created." Computers are Windows 7x64 sp1 with all patches and wireshark shows network traffic flowing when the request is made.

I have seen lots of instances on the Net of this error, and I have tried a few things that have been suggested with no change

So now I'm out of ideas and would really like this to work.

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 9:27 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    Based on my research of this error, this error may be raised when you have configured IE Maintenance and have imported Trusted Zones. In combination with IE 7 installed, GPMC fails to parse the files for the report.
    If that is the case, please note the GUID of the policy in question, switch over to one of your DC’s SYSVOL folders and browse to c:\WINDOWS\SYSVOL\sysvol\domain\Policies\{GUID}\User\Microsoft\IEAK folder, open the install.ins file and edit the following section:
    [Security Imports]
    ImportSecZones=0
    Then save the file to try again 
    Best regards, 
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, April 20, 2017 2:57 AM
  • Hello. I have found the problem. It is caused by using group policy preferences to delete a scheduled task where the task is vista or later. 

Each policy can be viewed one at a time, it is the total report wizard only that breaks. Unfortunately, if I use the standard scheduled task to delete a task, it does not function. So my choice is to break group policy reporting or not have the tasks being deleted. This is very reproducible. I noticed a hotfix in the past relating to this issue. I have applied this hotfix but it made no difference.

Sunday, April 23, 2017 11:55 PM
  • Hi,
    Appreciate for the update, have you tried my reply to see if it helps?
    Best regards, 
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 5:25 AM
  • Did you have a fix for this? I am running into the same issue.

• Edited by BPO11 Friday, May 12, 2017 3:10 PM
    Friday, May 12, 2017 3:05 PM
  • Removing the delete scheduled task preferences from my gpo worked as well. Thanks!
    Wednesday, October 11, 2017 10:54 PM
  • Wendy, I had previously tried your suggestion and I didn't have any gpos using ie maintenance mode
    Wednesday, October 11, 2017 10:55 PM
  • I have experienced this problem as well but it also seemed to do this when I updated the trigger for the task.

I have searched for this hotfix but I am unable to find it. Do you happen to remember what hotfix it was that you installed?

Monday, November 27, 2017 6:59 PM