Task sequence step limit? RRS feed

• Question

•  I'm trying to create a 'build and capture' task sequence. There is around 40 applications and 15 scripts. If I create the task sequence with just one application, thats fine but once I add the remaining applications I get the following message "there are too many steps in the task sequence object"
    If I go through the task sequence steps and add all the packages, the task sequence fails to create.

Does anyone know the task sequence step limit and is this for the whole of the task sequence or just for Install Applications?

The site is running version 4.00.6221.1000

Thanks

Glen
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 5:13 AM

Answers

• Hi,

One way to solve you problem might be to Install multiple applications using variables instead of having a sperate step for each package.

Kent Agerlund
    Friday, February 27, 2009 10:48 AM

All replies

• The correct answer to this question is, unknown. There is a size limit to the task sequence environment, which is 10Mb. I have task sequences that are in excess of 120 groups and steps and dont have any problems.

Maybe someone else has a bit more on this?

Friday, February 27, 2009 12:56 AM
  • Hi,

One way to solve you problem might be to Install multiple applications using variables instead of having a sperate step for each package.

Kent Agerlund
    Friday, February 27, 2009 10:48 AM
  • Corret there is no limit to how many task sequence variables that can be created, however the total size of the task sequence environment may not exceed 10 MB.
    Please mark posts as Answered if appropriate.
    Friday, February 27, 2009 11:05 AM